Epsom salt bath dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abbitha

Aquarium Advice Activist
Need dosing for a Epsom salt bath. Have a very bloated angelfish who hasn't pooped in over a week now. I have a three gallon bucket. I did one last night with 1tsp per gallon for 20-30 minutes and wasn't sure if I made the bath strong enough or not. Thanks in advance.

No he hasn't eaten since I noticed the bloat but was very willing at first. I tried offering a pea but he wasn't interested. Still really bloated. I'll do a 30 minute dip tomorrow and continue offering peas.

You can try baths twice a day and see if this helps. Brine shrimp (defrosted) also have a laxative effect and your guy may be more interested in these. Good luck!

Ok I'll try some brine shrimp soon. Someone said the Epsom salt isn't a good idea because it draws moisture out and may make it worse? But I've also heard it's a laxative so now I'm second guessing what to do!

I guess I'll be getting some brine shrimp then. How can I ensure he gets them before the other fish? Do you think I can offer them while he is in his bath dip?

I guess I'll be getting some brine shrimp then. How can I ensure he gets them before the other fish? Do you think I can offer them while he is in his bath dip?

Wouldn't hurt for all of them to get some IMHO. The bath thing would work as well if he's so inclined to dine.

I'm saying he may hesitate to eat and I'd hate for them to eat all the food before he can get to it. He's a bit sluggish compared to the faster tetras and the gourami. But I will give them a dash of shrimp too, of course :p

I'm saying he may hesitate to eat and I'd hate for them to eat all the food before he can get to it. He's a bit sluggish compared to the faster tetras and the gourami. But I will give them a dash of shrimp too, of course :p

You're right and that totally slipped my mind, must be the old age LOL

I do hope he gets his potty routine back going. I dearly love Angels, awesome fish they are.

Yeah I've had him a few years so I'm quite attached to the fella. Thanks you guys. I'll get some frozen brine shrimp tomorrow and continue with Epsom salt baths.

I'm becoming paranoid that he actually has dropsy. Is scales where is belly are look like they MAY be protruding very slightly. :(

It's weird that he obtained dropsy while he was getting treated with maracyn 1 and 2 for cysts and because I had a neon that had cotton mouth. But maracyn 2 says it treats dropsy. But he wasn't showing signs of bloat until after a couple days into treatment.

It's weird that he obtained dropsy while he was getting treated with maracyn 1 and 2 for cysts and because I had a neon that had cotton mouth. But maracyn 2 says it treats dropsy. But he wasn't showing signs of bloat until after a couple days into treatment.

That's odd, but I've had weird things like that happen too.

I like to wait and see if things get better. (I'm always an optimist ) If it gets to the point you can see a lot of distress do the clove oil and vodka method of euthanization.

Ok, I'll continue with his bath dips. He's been breathing really hard today. I've heard of the clove oil way. But don't you think dropping them in head first into a pot of boiling water be quicker and less stressful? I've heard of people doing the clove oil method and their fish struggle for a few minutes before falling asleep.

Like when you purchase live lobster you just toss them in the pot head first so they die immediately. Do you think that will be better?

Back
Top Bottom