Evaporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone else have major evaporation problems with their tanks? When I change the water, I fill the tank as far as it can possibly go. The thermostat in the room is set at 60 degrees. A couple of days later, the water will be down 4"-5'. It is frustrating. I run a humidifier in the Fall and Winter. What's up??

The more ambiant humidity is low, the more the tank will evaporate faster. Is your tank is topless, it will evaporate x4.

Is your tank leaking ? I have to refill 1 litre/day in my 30g topless.

Does this help ?

Yes, it helps very much. Thank you. No, the tank is definitely not leaking. The top foes not have a true cover. I have egg crate on each side to keep the cats out it and also a hanging T-8 lighting system with 4 bulbs that gets fairly warm. I know because my Norman likes to bask under the light. If evaporation is x4....
That explains the problem.

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem. I have a 180 litre tank and fill to maximum only to find I have lost around 1" after a couple of days. Tank is definitely not leaking so I am scratching my head about this!!

I guess as mine is enclosed that is a big factor for evaporation. Regular top ups it is then!! thanks for your reply

The more water movement you have, the lower humidity, the higher light heat outputs, and the less enclosed tank you have will all contribute to faster evaporation rates. My screen-top 75 gallon tank with pretty warm lights and an external canister with a splash bar return usually drops 3 inches or so by the end of the week between water changes. Our humidity is usually decently high due to our climate.

Back
Top Bottom