Evaporation during vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anton_sky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I have a Fluval Chi 5 gallon and will be out of town for 8 days. I have a light on a timer and an automated feeder but I'm concerned that the water will evaporate too quickly causing the filter system to run dry.

I looked for an extension tube for the filter, but it doesn't seem to be on the market.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I'll definitely try making that lid. Can I ask how much space you left around the filter unit to allow the water flow... and also what you used to cut the plastic?

Thanks again!

I'll definitely try making that lid. Can I ask how much space you left around the filter unit to allow the water flow... and also what you used to cut the plastic?

Thanks again!

I used a dremel tool to cut it and I used like 1/4 inch acrylic. The space around the chi filter is very minuscule because the water doesn't splash much. I would say it's about 1/8 inch though.

Helpful thread. I still have the glass top (went topless when I got a new light fixture) and will be using it when I go on vacation to cut down on evaporation. I'll just have to put up a reminder when that time comes.

Really great information, thanks!

I've looked online and I don't see a vendor who ships the Chi cover to Canada and my LFS doesn't carry it. Well, Hagen will ship it to me, but it'll cost $20 which is dumb for an $3 item.

This might be an odd question, but could i just use plastic cling wrap to cover part of the tank for my absence? I know that sounds a bit sketchy (!) but wouldn't it do the same thing?

Really great information, thanks!

I've looked online and I don't see a vendor who ships the Chi cover to Canada and my LFS doesn't carry it. Well, Hagen will ship it to me, but it'll cost $20 which is dumb for an $3 item.

This might be an odd question, but could i just use plastic cling wrap to cover part of the tank for my absence? I know that sounds a bit sketchy (!) but wouldn't it do the same thing?

I don't see why not. Several members use that to keep humidity up while doing a DSM (dry start method for plants).
I think you would not want to seal it too much; you need to ensure there is decent gas exchange.

Back
Top Bottom