Fake to real plants question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm considering getting a light fixture that's 48 inches long, my bulbs will be fluorescent 54 watts at 6500k and the other bulb will be 54 watts at 10,000k. I have a 55 gallon FW community, it's 48 x 12 x 21.

Is this good enough lighting for low light plants/medium light plants?

Is that a T5HO fixture? Then yes, you should be able to grow low-medium light bulbs. If they're T8s, you might be limited to only lower light plants.

Anyone else care to chime in? I'd really like a couple of opinions

I have just about the same lighting (dual T5HO fixture) on my 55g and I am able to grow low-medium light plants. They don't have the color that they would under high light, but they still grow and look nice.

Hello Fish...

That's high wattage for a florescent lamp. They're typically 30 to 40 watts. Anyway, if you do have this level of lighting, your low to moderate light plants should do fine. Get a good fish load in the water and perform large, frequent water changes and you'll have a nicely planted tank in no time.

B

Ok thanks. So I have pea gravel in my tank now and when I take out my fake plants and put my real ones in do I put them about 3 inches down and there just good to go? I'm not exactly sure about the fertilizer and how often I have to use the fertilizer? I know there's a liquid and a normal kinds. Is there a good fertilizer i should be using and how often do I have to use it?

The planting would depend on the specific plant. Typically I just bury the roots, and if that's not enough to keep it anchored I bury it more.

As for fertilizer - with liquid ferts you mainly are paying for water. However, they can be easier for someone new to this. Dry ferts are more economical, and most NPK+Trace dry fert packs will last you forever. You could do something simple like EI (estimative index) dosing. Co2, Fertilization, Algae and more updated 10/10

You may also want to dose root tabs as well, if you have heavy root feeders such as crypts and swords. Depending on the quality of the light fixture you may want to dose liquid carbon, but you might be able to get away without it.

The planting would depend on the specific plant. Typically I just bury the roots, and if that's not enough to keep it anchored I bury it more.

As for fertilizer - with liquid ferts you mainly are paying for water. However, they can be easier for someone new to this. Dry ferts are more economical, and most NPK+Trace dry fert packs will last you forever. You could do something simple like EI (estimative index) dosing. Co2, Fertilization, Algae and more updated 10/10

You may also want to dose root tabs as well, if you have heavy root feeders such as crypts and swords. Depending on the quality of the light fixture you may want to dose liquid carbon, but you might be able to get away without it.

Yikes that kind of went right over my head haha. I'm going to have to do way more research obviously..

Hello again Fish...

I'd recommend starting out with easy plants that don't require planting. Anubias nana and nangi can be attached to lava rock with a small rubber band and just dropped on top of the gravel. Java fern is the same. Mosses don't need to be planted, just attached to a small piece of driftwood. Singapore does well in subdued lighting. Depending on your fish, floating plants create a nice look. Anacharis and Pennywort can just be dropped on top of the water and grow very well close to the light source.

If you want to plant something, then research the easy to grow, low to moderate light plants like Cryptocoryne. You just dig a hole into the gravel about half the length of your index finger, put in the plant and cover it.

You don't need fertilizers. Frequent water changes and a reasonable number of fish fed a balanced diet every other day or so will provide everything the plants need.

Pretty simple.

B

Hello again Fish...

I'd recommend starting out with easy plants that don't require planting. Anubias nana and nangi can be attached to lava rock with a small rubber band and just dropped on top of the gravel. Java fern is the same. Mosses don't need to be planted, just attached to a small piece of driftwood. Singapore does well in subdued lighting. Depending on your fish, floating plants create a nice look. Anacharis and Pennywort can just be dropped on top of the water and grow very well close to the light source.

If you want to plant something, then research the easy to grow, low to moderate light plants like Cryptocoryne. You just dig a hole into the gravel about half the length of your index finger, put in the plant and cover it.

You don't need fertilizers. Frequent water changes and a reasonable number of fish fed a balanced diet every other day or so will provide everything the plants need.

Pretty simple.

B

Ok I'll defiantly go with that idea with using really simple plants and mosses. I've heard that the floating mosses or plants spread really fast and it turns out to be more then the person wanted. Is that true?

Fish...

That's true. Especially of Anacharis and Pennywort. But, you can let these grow for a long time. Plants like varieties of Anubias and Java fern, will grow in low lighting conditions. So, even if the floating plants above them get a bit overgrown, that won't affect their growth very much, if at all.

If you feel a floating plant has too much growth, then trim it and put it into another tank or sell it on this forum. People here do this all the time.

B

Back
Top Bottom