Feeder shrimp?? Dwarf puffer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just bought some feeder shrimp or otherwise known as ghost shrimp correct? I just got 11 of them. one died on the way home and the other died at home. I have a couple of questions about these guys. One is are they called ghost shrimp? They are clear. Also, What do i do with the two dead ones? take them out, feed em to my fish, or let them be and let the other shrimp take care of them?

Also, Do they need an air stone or filter? The tank is 1.5 gallons and had an internal small filter, but I took it out thinking it would suck up the shrimp, so I put a very small airstone inside on the side back wall of the aquarium. The dang airstone keeps launching water to the tank lid...

Lastly, anyone know how to breed these guys? I want more and then eventually try them out with my dwarf puffer to see how he reacts to them, which may or may not mean a casualty for the one or two shrimps I add.

The shrimp eat algae wafers/anything correct?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks!!

If it died on the way home and another died shortly there after, I'd suggest tossing the corpses and keeping the other in quarantine for about month.

Ghost or Glass shrimp aren't really nutritious, make sure to gut load them (feed them vitamin rich foods before making feed of them)

The females have green saddles or, more obviously, green eggs in their pleopods. Breeding ghost shrimp(Palaeomonetes patulous) - FishForums.com

I've been thinking about growing these guys for a while, my green spotted puffer likes to chase them, and they do help clean his tank till he gets them.

They may love the taste of algae wafers, but need more nutrition from scavenging fish flakes/pellets. If they will be feeders, whatever you can get them to eat besides algae will help them to be more nutritious. They also like to eat their own fry that hatch if they are too crowded, so be aware of that. As for breeding them, you'll notice that the females grow much larger than the males when full-grown. A ratio of 1 male to 3 females is generally healthy. Also, while ghost shrimp can live in a wide range of temperatures, breeding temperatures are a bit more narrow at 73-78 F. As always, keep your water conditions up and try not to stress the shrimp and you will have eggs in no time at all.

I bred ghost shrimp for a while, but have been breeding cherry shrimp as feeders more recently.

Ok, thanks for all the great info guys!!! So far I'm at 3 out of 11 died. I think one molted.

Back
Top Bottom