Feeding Flake Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiekelsey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just discovered that if I place the flakes just under the surface of the water the fish find it better and eat more of it. I've always put the flakes on the surface of the water and I think more of it was wasted.

I just discovered that if I place the flakes just under the surface of the water the fish find it better and eat more of it. I've always put the flakes on the surface of the water and I think more of it was wasted.

Curious if others have tried this and if its worked! Makes sense, not sure how much you would waste doing it the normal way.

Most people soak the flakes in tank water to help them go beneath the surface. My rainbows won't eat them unless they are floating on the surface though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I feed flakes and pellets. Not all of my fish eat the pellets.

Some times it can take some effort and time to get them to eat them. It took me 2 months to get my lyonsi to take pellets. all he would eat when I got him was blood worms.

Flakes on the surfice could cause the fish to gulp too much air, I always submerge my flakes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Flakes on the surfice could cause the fish to gulp too much air, I always submerge my flakes.

That is an interesting topic! I know for goldfish and other fish this is a good recommendation re sinking foods. It would be interesting to see people's experience with this. There have been threads where this has been a solid solution.

For myself I have used pellets with certain fish but it has been mainly flakes. I would have to say I can't think of any times when gulping flakes at surface has been an issue that I can pick. However the fish are all common types, food quality would of ranged from cheap stuff (early days at school) to better stuff now (although it may just be more expensive not better).

That is an interesting topic! I know for goldfish and other fish this is a good recommendation re sinking foods. It would be interesting to see people's experience with this. There have been threads where this has been a solid solution.

For myself I have used pellets with certain fish but it has been mainly flakes. I would have to say I can't think of any times when gulping flakes at surface has been an issue that I can pick. However the fish are all common types, food quality would of ranged from cheap stuff (early days at school) to better stuff now (although it may just be more expensive not better).

I haven't experienced it, but I've read many times on here that it could be a common problem for swim bladder problem with fish. I've also read gold fish have this issue more then tropical or other types of fish.

Some fish (like wrestling halfbeaks) prefer to eat food off the top of the water. Actually, I don't think they ever chase it as it starts to sink. But with all my other fish, I always keep my fingers on it to soak under water for maybe 15-30 seconds and then let it go, and it sinks slowly so all the fish have an opportunity to "catch" some. From my experience, seems fish enjoy catching it as it sinks.

Back
Top Bottom