Feeding issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mtl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 15 gallon tank I have:
4 platys
2 African dwarf frogs
8 ghost shrimp

I feed them 1 small frozen block of blood worms(the usual 36 per pack at most pet shops) 6 days a week. I've been told that is too much by some people and not enough by others.
I always thaw it and it all seems to be eaten within a few minutes. My only concern is my ammonia level seems to be at about 0.5 and that's with frequent water changes.

Maybe if you cut off a bit of the block and don't feed the whole block? .5 ammonia is not good so it is worth a shot. What are your tap water readings?

Also, do you have flake food? It is good for them to have a variety in their diet instead of the same thing day after day.

-bud

My tap water does not seem to have much ammonia plus I always dose the water with prime before. I do try and feed flake food but the frogs will not eat it. I figure I'm going to cut the cubes in half and try to see if that will help he ammonia levels, I'm pretty sure the fish will not starve

I am pretty sure that there is special food for the frogs, and they don't have to eat the same things everyone else in the tank.

And a note on prime: it detoxifies ammonia and nitrites, but it does not remove them from the water. It just makes them safe for 24 hours. So if your biofilter isn't very strong that could be the reason you are still seeing ammonia levels.

Back
Top Bottom