Female Betta and male fancy tail guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batmansocks117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was at PetSmart today and saw a female betta on the lowest shelf and with torn up fins and I felt awful for her. I haven't been able to stop thinking about her and really want to go back and go get her. I wish I had room for another tank but with 3 in my room already I can't really add another one. In my 10 gallon I have a fancy tail guppy and I've seen a lot of conflicting info about it, and I know it all depends on the bettas temperament, but what does everyone think? Should I try to save her and put her in my 10? I could try moving one of my other bettas (both seem very docile, never flair at anything, one is a male the other a female) to the 10 and keep the new girl in their old tank or I could split my 5 and keep both girls in there, but I don't know... I'm so conflicted!! Anyone have any input?

I keep females with my guppies and don't have issues. Males on the other hand are a different story, none of them have done any major harm to the gups, but some of them do occasionally take a bite out of their tails. (It took me a while to figure out which male was okay to put in with them and which were not). All the females have been good, I have about 8 of them now and tons more in the past, and never had a guppy have anything happen to it because of the girls. But keep in mind, each fish is an individual and so you may have problems. If you do save her (which I'm thinking you should) have a back-up plan in case they don't work out together. Find a friend that has a tank for either the guppy or female, return one to the store, get a critter keeper and heater from the petstore, or make a tank divider so that the female has a few gallons to herself and the guppy has his own space too. Plenty of options!

Oh and if you didn't know, female Bettas can be kept together (unlike males) so if the guppy doesn't work out you could take him back and get 3-5 more females for the 10 gallon and have yourself a little rescued sorority. That's what I would do atleast, I love my Bettas!!

Usually they are fine together. But you should quarantine her for a few weeks, she could have a disease.

Thanks for the advice. =D I ended up getting a tank divider as a back up just in case she decides she hates the guppy, I can split my 5 until I can either get another tank or find a new home for my guppy. Here's a few photos of her still in her cup..

Attachments

• image-1387195125.jpg
    image-1387195125.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3374679723.jpg
    image-3374679723.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom