Female Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Promisedsin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering how many female bettas would be good to keep in a 10 gallon tank together. My brother will be taking my rainbow shark and possibly the kuhli loaches soon and I was thinking of maybe adding a few female bettas in with the danios. Any opinions?

I've never kept female bettas, but I've kept a good few male ones before. I'd think you could put 2-3 females in there, but put in some hiding places. Remember, the females don't always get along together, but there is no way to find out if they will harm each other, it's just the betta's personality I guess!

Back when my wife was breeding Betta splendens, we kept females of average temperament together, 5-6 fish per 10gal.

Caution, we learned that <5 or >6, was a recipe for territorial aggression, less and they seemed to have time to concentrate on one or two weaker fish in the pecking order, more and the crowding caused aggression.
Not to say that the pecking order didn't get rough sometimes, but they weren't tearing each other to shreds/killing each other, nipped fins were the norm.

Also, some females are just as territorial aggressive as the males, and will not share a tank, thankfully most will get along reasonably.

We loved our Bettas, but the birth of our second child left no time for my wife to maintain the breeding hobby, taking care of so many tasks, males, females, breeding, fry, live fry foods and daily maintenance/PWCs.

female bettas are okay together, just don't make a habit of adding or subtracting them, because they'll constantly fight for the "alpha". they have a pecking order that gets easily disturbed when the population changes.

Every fish is different, now i know that doesnt awnser your question. Generally female bettas are a little more laid back than the males and can be kept in "sorority tanks" with about 5-7 depending on the decor. I like to keep the number odd as it wont allow for even disputes between specified pairs. Just my experiance though. PM dkpate as she is my betta knowlage wealth.

Memories...

Not many pics from back then, we didn't have a digital camera :rolleyes:
But we've a few we scanned later, here's one.

Synchronized Swimming Team
img_1117702_0_ca581af873e1ba497af50da92dc39d43.jpg

Back
Top Bottom