Filling tank with a garden hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am wondering how everyone fills their tanks at water changes? I have the GATOR hose that I was wondering if it was safe to use? It has only had pottable water through it but would like to make things easier for a guy with a broken back. I carry 2.5 gal per trip to an 36 gallon tank. I could invest in the water changer kit but I like to be inovative. I would check water temp before adding to the tank.
My concern is chemicals from the inside of the hose! Any thoughts or input appreciated. Im only needing a max. of a 15 ft run and maybe use 12 ft of that.

Answer is relative to tank size..but pythons are pretty popular.

Not sure what a gator hose is. But ive used regular garden hoses so....

I've heard that some hoses are treated with anti-microbial products which would be harmful to fish. You should purchase a Python which would both fill and drain a tank. When I'm draining water, I let gravity do the work and drain directly into my toilet.

I wouldn't use a brand new hose that smells like freshly manufactured plastic/rubber. I and friends have used garden hose to fill aquariums and ponds for a few decades without incident. It's probably no dirtier than the pipes in your house. If it sat all winter with water in it maybe rinse the car off first. We over complicate this hobby and invent problems.

I wouldn't use a brand new hose that smells like freshly manufactured plastic/rubber. I and friends have used garden hose to fill aquariums and ponds for a few decades without incident. It's probably no dirtier than the pipes in your house. If it sat all winter with water in it maybe rinse the car off first. We over complicate this hobby and invent problems.
Amen...I know there chemicals in rubber that makes up hoses. But a used hose ....you be ok.

Key is do not get the "heavy duty hose" but get the regular garden hose. Is what I use that hooks up to a drain I have on my Fluval FX4 and works great and spill free for drain and filling. IMG_3907.jpg

GATOR Hose is the hose that retracts into a little ball. But anyhow maybe I will just fill a couple five gallon buckets and and treat them and see how they test after waiting a few hours.
I agree on the over thinking on the hobby and I do that a lot no matter what I do!
I am always looking for an easier way but safety is always first and I dont want to harm the fish and I dont want to cause issues. I might just break down and buy the aqueon hose, then I know Ill be safe. As a woodworker in another hobby but health has slowed me down, I find I am a perfectionist and like things done right and no shortcuts and a garden hose is cheap but is it safe? I think I will try some test to see. Thanks all

GATOR Hose is the hose that retracts into a little ball. But anyhow maybe I will just fill a couple five gallon buckets and and treat them and see how they test after waiting a few hours.
I agree on the over thinking on the hobby and I do that a lot no matter what I do!
I am always looking for an easier way but safety is always first and I dont want to harm the fish and I dont want to cause issues. I might just break down and buy the aqueon hose, then I know Ill be safe. As a woodworker in another hobby but health has slowed me down, I find I am a perfectionist and like things done right and no shortcuts and a garden hose is cheap but is it safe? I think I will try some test to see. Thanks all

I am a woodworker too, and a fly fisherman. I know all about making things hard. So you go buy some hospital grade hermetically sealed garden hose. Wipe it down with hydrogen peroxide and UV sterilize it before you use it. Then fill your fish tank. Make sure your fish pinky promise not to pee in the water five minutes later. :)

I am a woodworker too, and a fly fisherman. I know all about making things hard. So you go buy some hospital grade hermetically sealed garden hose. Wipe it down with hydrogen peroxide and UV sterilize it before you use it. Then fill your fish tank. Make sure your fish pinky promise not to pee in the water five minutes later. :)
Or wipe it down with your excel. Good enough to sterilize surgical equipment lol

Or wipe it down with your excel. Good enough to sterilize surgical equipment lol

lol, I raised fish with considerable success from the 1970s-1990s. All we ever did was vacuum the gravel and change some water every week or so. It worked out somehow. Modern water testing kits are nice. Worry about outrageous spikes and take a breath people. :) No offense intended to anyone but it's pretty easy to take the fun out of this stressing things. You control what you can and it will work out for the most part.

I dont know if I can ,make them promise. I have a molly that thinks he owns the tank sometimes!
Many years ago we had a 75 gallon tank and the wife cleaned it when the water got foggy. We never knew anything about fish keeping except we had some gold fish,Molly's and Guppys. Trying to make a better enviroment this time around.

As a person with a disability, I'm a huge fan of water change hoses. I use a Python, and the Aqueon is pretty much the same thing.

The Gator hose is built for potable water. In my opinion, if it's food safe, it's tank safe --- with the exception of copper for invertebrates.

I have one of those hoses that expand when in use that I use for my water changes. Been using it for over a year without any issues. I usually flush it before each use though. I also use well water so I don't add any conditioners or anything. Just temp match :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom