Filter Biomax Appearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinB

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long can it take before you see visible material on your Biomax. I am 90+ days into a single fish in cycle of a 40 gal tank. I did make a mistake and change the sponge, but the rocky biomax filter media has never been touched, and it still appears as new. I would feel better if this started looking like my old biowheel which had a brown slime on it.

6.8 ph, 0 ammonia, .2 nitrate and 40 ppm ammonia before the WC I did today.

What about rocks at bottom of tank? I believe there is some debate as to whether to vacuum these or not, but there is fish waste that accumulates there, and I noticed lots of dark (maybe black) water that comes out when vacuuming these when doing the WC's. should I stop this as well?

I plan on putting more filter media in the AC70 filter box as I've read in here, but just puzzled as to why what is in there still looks like new. I am currently leaving the old carbon in the filter because of any BB that might be on it, until I am sure there is something on the biomax.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom