Filter maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrRockzo

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello everybody

still being new to aquarium keeping i was wondering what kind of maintenance should be done on the filters to ensure maximum filtration. y tanke has been up for about 3 months and the filters havnt been touched so i sure im long past due to do some maintenance.

thanks for all help:fish2:

Filters
Aquaclear 110
marineland emperor 400

I'm not the most knowledgeable one here but I would say change anywhere from every 2 weeks to a month. You need to change asap

What kind of filter is it?

If it's a canister like a fluval, clean out the mechanical filter foam with tank water, no need to throw them out. Rinse out any ceramic media, DO NOT REPLACE. While your doing this maintenance, ALWAYS keep all media wet.

If it's an HOB ... just swish the filter cartridge around in a bucket of tank water to remove the solid waste. DO NOT REPLACE unless it's literally falling apart ... and then you want to use the old filter media to seed the new one.

jcolon said:

If it's a canister like a fluval, clean out the mechanical filter foam with tank water, no need to throw them out. Rinse out any ceramic media, DO NOT REPLACE. While your doing this maintenance, ALWAYS keep all media wet.

If it's an HOB ... just swish the filter cartridge around in a bucket of tank water to remove the solid waste. DO NOT REPLACE unless it's literally falling apart ... and then you want to use the old filter media to seed the new one.

How do u use old filter media. I'm not sure I understand that one. Could u explain it please. I have 10 gallon tank and I just throw old one away and put in the new one

How do u use old filter media. I'm not sure I understand that one. Could u explain it please. I have 10 gallon tank and I just throw old one away and put in the new one

No problem

Just throwing away old filter media is NOT what you want to do contrary to what the box it comes in says. Those filter media is like gold in this hobby and if you throw away still viable cartridge you could get a mini-cycle / ammo spike ... and potential loss of stock ... it's happened ... I'm sure plenty of members an attest to that. The filter media / cartridge is where a large number of Beneficial Bacteria live. What you want to do is when the old cartridge is no longer sustanable ... literally falling apart, place the new cartridge in front of the old one for a week or two so the bacteria seed the new one.

Even though they get alge on them and turn black? And I'm talking about the ones your told to replace every month

Oh the sponges? No actually that's a good thing, it shows you have BB aka beneficial bacteria at work. Algae wil happen to any filter catridge, all you need to do is that when you do your PWC, put them in the water and squeeze them all out.

Just out of curiosity is your filter media a pouch with carbon particles inside?

Edit: Did a quick google search and turns out, you actually have the same name brand filter I have on my 10g. They are carbon based filters, meaning the pouch you insert into the filter is filled with carbon particles. This helps remove unnatural substances in your water. The only time I replace mine is when the pouch rips and the carbon starts to leak out into the filter base. When, you do replace do what others here have said. Adding new media infront of the old one is the fastest and safest way to replace the old media. I know it is a tight squeeze inside these filters and I found that if you removed the blue cartridge holder you can fit another pouch in there. But as said before DO NOT toss your old one out without first seeding a new one. The last thing you want to do it cause a mini cycle in your tank and cause a high health risk issue for your tank inhabitants. I hope this has helped clear things up a bit. Remember if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask for help!

++++++++1

I don't think I could support a statement anymore than that. Absolutely dead on. Never, ever, ever replace media until it is no longer viable. Just clean the debris off in either tank (not tap) or dechlorinated water during pwc's to remove debris and stick it back in.

Replacing media monthly is just a sales tactic by the manufacturers to make you spend more $...but it is an invitation for mini-cycles and unhappy (and / or) fish floating belly up.

Well I'm sure I caused I mini cycle if nit a whole new one cause I had to change all rocks (paint was coming off) and I took the filter out and and set it aside for about 30 minutes l. As I didn't know these things

o.jonathan.o said:
Well I'm sure I caused I mini cycle if nit a whole new one cause I had to change all rocks (paint was coming off) and I took the filter out and and set it aside for about 30 minutes l. As I didn't know these things

Just make sure you've got a quality test kit, a bottle of Prime and a bucket nearby to deal with any toxin spikes. Here's a guide that will help you deal with any potential mini-cycles-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

It's ok don't sweat the fact that you didn't know. The good thing is you came here and asked, this forum has a ton of knowledgeable individuals who are ready to help any time.

A few more things to know.. It IS ok to rinse the filter base in tap water.. Just make sure you remove your media and place it in tank water. Tank water is the key to keeping your BB (benifical bacteria) alive and well. Placing media in the tap will only kill it, as the city puts chemicals in the water to prevent mold and algae from forming inside the water pipes. Also if you didn't know or haven't been doing so, purchase some dechlorinator. Everyone here suggests the use of PRIME (Seachem. Prime) I currently use this and switched from the petsmart seller Tetra brand. This is a protective measure to ensure your new tap water won't hurt your fish.

Back
Top Bottom