Filter of death!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megastri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 10 gallon fish tank. I started out with a tetra whisper pf10 but I wasn't too sure that it was going to be enough filtration. So I was recommended to add an aquaclear 20 to the filter that I already have. The owner said that you could never have enough filtration. So I cleaned it off and installed it everything seemed fine until I couldn't find all my chili rasboras. They have been sucked up in the filter. Is there anyway I could make the slates smaller so it doesn't suck up all my fish?

You can do one of two things you can put a prefilter sponge or put fresh clean pantyhose over the filter intake preferably new ones

The pantyhose won't interfere with the water flow? Could I maybe tape a piece of screen to it?

The pantyhose won't interfere with the water flow? Could I maybe tape a piece of screen to it?

That wouldn't last long and I wouldn't want take residue in the tank personally no it won't interfere with the flow all you have to do is rubberband it to the intake tube

Awesome! You are seriously a life saver! I really appreciate that! I hate losing fish.: (

Nope! I've covered my filter in my fry tank, works a treat and none of them get sucked up! :)

23u7waa.jpg

I recently pulled over 30 shrimp out of my canister filter. I know exactly how frustrating it is to have stuff sucked up into the filter.

The pantyhose seems to be the most recommended course of action. For fish, a piece of filter sponge works equally well; although I learned the hard way that shrimp can still get through it.

I've just added 30 Chili Rasboras to a 55 planted tank and have all my intakes covered. Even the slightest amount of suction can pull many nano fish into filters.

Yes it would better than sponges as tiny baby shrimp can actually work through the sponge fibers and still get into filters.

Back
Top Bottom