Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More is usually better... But you'll know when it's too much... When the current is too strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

lol yes that 1 makes sense :) I have 2 big map turtles in the sump so I need a lot of filtration for them didn't know if it was okay for my fish though. Thank very you much :)

Can you have to much filtration in a tank or is it the more the better?

Hello bam...

If you're not a good and faithful changer of the tank water, then the more filters you can cram onto the tank the better. That's the only way you can even come close to keeping the tank water clear of pollutants.

If you can somehow manage to change half the water every week, then you won't need multiple filters, because they'll just be moving water that's already clean.

Large, frequent water changes can easily take the place of multiple filters. Unfortunately, the reverse isn't true.

Do whatever makes you feel good about your tank.

B

If you're not a good and faithful changer of the tank water, then the more filters you can cram onto the tank the better. That's the only way you can even come close to keeping the tank water clear of pollutants.

Filters are not a replacement for water changes. No matter how many filters you can cram on a tank, you still have to change the water. I don't know what pollutants you are talking about, but nitrate is not cleared by standard filters. Nitrate is removed by plants or by water changes, and the rate of nitrate production is completely independent of the filtration system.

I use to do it every week, but found that when I do it ever month my water test come out better for some reason. I clean my filters about every 6 months and that tends to work for my tank. I still got to put more foam and more media in my sump that's why I asked the question.. Do any one know if 5Kg BIOHOME ULTRA FILTER MEDIA + 25 FREE FILTER STARTER BALLS is any good?.

Bio home is supposed to be the real deal, and I bet it is, as it is very porous.

Turtles need a lot of filtration and more is usually better.

Filters and Water Changes

Filters are not a replacement for water changes. No matter how many filters you can cram on a tank, you still have to change the water. I don't know what pollutants you are talking about, but nitrate is not cleared by standard filters. Nitrate is removed by plants or by water changes, and the rate of nitrate production is completely independent of the filtration system.

Hello aqua...

You're "preaching to the choir". This is exactly what I said in my post.

B

Hello aqua...

You're "preaching to the choir". This is exactly what I said in my post.

B

I guess I fail to understand what you mean about adding filtration if you slack on water changes. The two have nothing to do with one another, unless you do water changes because your filtration can't process all the ammonia, which is a problem in and of itself. And about the pollutants. What pollutants?

No you can't have too much filtration... within reason. I would personally suggest around 5x to 10x the tank volume per hour in flow. This is going to help keep detritus off of the substrate and give great oxygenation. More than that and the flow is getting to be too much.

Back
Top Bottom