Filtration & stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Happy Monday Fish Keepers!! Three questions.........

1. If a tank is slightly under the suggested filtration for the stock, can this be mitigated by doing weekly water changes of a higher volume? Or does it not work that way?

My situ: 60g with Aquaclear 70. (Would have bought the 110 had I read more before buying......). According to AqAdvisor I am slightly under filtered for the stock I am planning.

2. 10 cories (5 x julii, 5 x emeralds) for a 60g isn't too much on the bottom is it?

3. Sorry if stupid Q but how do I save my entries in AqAdvisor so I don't have to keep entering it each time I go there??? Can't see a save button but it always keeps what I entered first time I went there which is not correct.

Thanks

Sally

1. Water changes of 50% weekly is what most do. Test for nitrates with a good liquid test kit and when it gets to 30-40ppm is when you should do one. WC's are as important as filtration and an AC70 will do. You can always add extra when you can but you should be OK, IMO.
2. 10 cories are not too many for a 60g unless you're overstocked with other fish. They should be quite happy with 5 in each group.
3. Weird. My entries stay in it after I exit. I don't know on that one.
OS.

1. Water changes of 50% weekly is what most do. Test for nitrates with a good liquid test kit and when it gets to 30-40ppm is when you should do one. WC's are as important as filtration and an AC70 will do. You can always add extra when you can but you should be OK, IMO.
2. 10 cories are not too many for a 60g unless you're overstocked with other fish. They should be quite happy with 5 in each group.
3. Weird. My entries stay in it after I exit. I don't know on that one.
OS.

Wow 50% weekly! That seems like a lot but I trust your expertise, so if you say 50%, ok I'll do that. Right now I am nowhere near fully stocked so I'm doing about 25% which I assume is ok for now?

If you are lightly stocked you could get by with 30% weekly. WC's just seem to refresh the fish with more than just nitrate removal. All sorts of other wastes are removed too.
Most people can't resist stocking their tank to 90-100% or even a little more. That's when 50% is necessary. OS.

I second the 50% weekly wc and doubling up on the ac70's when possible. As far as aqadvisor.. You may have to adjust your security/internet settings to save data entered in fields or sumpin like dat...

If you are lightly stocked you could get by with 30% weekly. WC's just seem to refresh the fish with more than just nitrate removal. All sorts of other wastes are removed too.
Most people can't resist stocking their tank to 90-100% or even a little more. That's when 50% is necessary. OS.

Gotcha. Thank you. 30-50% weekly it is!

Back
Top Bottom