Filtration for a large aquarium - over 250 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whodeymatt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been thinking about upgrading and getting a large tank. Possible about 265 gallon for freshwater, community fish and live plants. I've seen tanks with holes drilled in. Don't really want to do that. Wondering what type of filtration to use? I like canister filters. Didn't know if there was one big enough for this or if I would need 2-3 filters. Any advice. May get a tank on craiglist unless some one had some advice on where to buy a tank this large. I'm new to this site too. Thanks!
Matt

I would personally go with these over the FX6 if looking at canisters.

Amazon.com : SunSun-China HW-304B 5-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-watt UV Sterilizer, 525 GPH : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies

A single filter is just not gonna cut it no matter how fancy it is. For the price of a single FX6 you could get 2 of the Sunsun filters, a couple powerheads to supplement flow in dead spots, and still have a little left over.

Many people on the forums run these sunsun canisters, myself included. Mine has been running very well for going on 2 years now without any issues. My computer chair is also less than 2 feet away from it and I can't even tell if it's running or not without looking at the flow in my tank.

There's nothing wrong with the FX6, they are great filters. It's just a trade off between benefit vs cost for me.

Back
Top Bottom