Finally got a 20 long opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My son has 6 Glo Danios in a 10 gallon. I finally was able to get him a 20 long. Aqadvisor says that he can do 11 glo danios and 2 mystery snails and be at 63%'ish stocking level.

Aqadvisor also says the 6 danios are ok in a 10 gallon. I've heard different. Anything I've missed or should this be ok?

Thanks!

It depends on the danios. Glo light danios are pretty small and stay that way, so they should be okay, especially if they are moving to a 20 long with lots of swim room.
Other common danio species, like the popular zebra danio, need even more space.

Well I think the person might be referring to glofish. Which are just zebras. I've kept zebras in a 10 with no problem, but the more swim room the better. I have some in a 29 gallon right now (same length as a 20 long) and they're doing great. They're the gold long finned variety.

Ah, I keep forgetting about the genetically modified danios because they aren't allowed where I live. There is a type of danio whose common name is glow-light danio and they are a nano fish, my lfs had them not long ago and I did the research on them. They would be perfectly happy in a 10 gallon.
It doesn't matter what species of fish, they are all happier with more space:)

Yes of course all fish are much happier with more space, just like people! Haha. Anyway the stocking is fine.

In this case we have the glofish in a 10 gallon at the moment. If I don't need a 20 L I'm happy to save myself the 50 bucks especially since I am still in the process of stocking my 75 gallon :)

That one has Red Eyes, Flame Tetras, False Julii, Peppered Cories and I am in the process of QT'in my Rainbowfish. :)

If they are glofish, then yes, they are the kind who are very active and need a 20l.

IMO a 15g would provide enough swimming room (especially the length). I wouldn't put 11 of them in a 15, though.

While 11 glofish would be just fine in a 20L, I wouldn't be using aqadvisor for stocking plans. There is no way to accurately explain the level of stocking using an equation of some kind. There are just too many factors to take in consideration; size, gender, filtration, water hardness, aggression of other fish in the tank, temperature, and many other factors.

maxwellag said:
While 11 glofish would be just fine in a 20L, I wouldn't be using aqadvisor for stocking plans. There is no way to accurately explain the level of stocking using an equation of some kind. There are just too many factors to take in consideration; size, gender, filtration, water hardness, aggression of other fish in the tank, temperature, and many other factors.

While I agree using aqadvisor only is a bad idea, I believe it's a really great place to start. I wouldn't do 11 danios in a 20L IMO, I would stick to the amount you have then add some other type of fish for variety. I would do some sort of Cory and some RCS and you may be able to add something else as more of a centerpiece.

I try to use as many sources as I can aqadvisor is only one. Being a newbie I can't foresee a lot. My son only wants glo danios and blue mystery snail(s).

Any fun suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom