Fire Eel Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirCastic

Aquarium Advice Regular
so i'm getting a fire eel when i upgrade to a 125 tank. has anybody have experience with these fish? i've heard they are gentle giants. currently in my 55 gallon tank i have 5 mollies, 3 platies, 1 bushynose pleco, 1 stick catfish, 5 ghost shrimp, 1 lyretail swordtail, 3 glass cats, 1 red tailed shark (very peaceful despite what i've heard) and 5 tiger barbs. can any of these not go with the eel? and what else can go with it? i had my eye on some bronze corydoras.

In my experience my peacock eel(same family as the fire but smaller)is fine with fish it cant swallow although im pretty sure yur ghost shrimps will get eaten, but a fire eel will get twice as long as my peacock eel & the smallest fish ive kept with him was redeyes but he still ate most of them. And a 125 shud be fine I think

The Fire eel will get more than twice the size of a peacock. In terms of aggression it will do fine with those fish. However the smaller ones will become a meal.

The ghost shrimp and possibly the mollies, platies and swordtails. Keep in mind there are lots of 30"+ fire eels in the home aquaria world so they get quite large. I'd at the 20"+ range any fish under 3" would be considered food. Up to 30" and your probably looking at 4" or less. This is a guess on my behalf, I'm just going off of what I saw with my old 16" fire eel.

The ghost shrimp and possibly the mollies, platies and swordtails. Keep in mind there are lots of 30"+ fire eels in the home aquaria world so they get quite large. I'd at the 20"+ range any fish under 3" would be considered food. Up to 30" and your probably looking at 4" or less. This is a guess on my behalf, I'm just going off of what I saw with my old 16" fire eel.

Would a peacock eel be good instead? or maybe 2-3 tire track eels

Tire tracks eels still get over 30". A peacock will top out around 12" if I remember correctly. That would be a good choice. So would a zig zag eel. The downside is the smaller species don't come out much.

A peacock eel could b good although yes they do hide alot. With a peacock eel yur smallest fish might still get eaten(its kinda hit & miss)

Back
Top Bottom