first water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ct67_72

Aquarium Advice Activist
so my tank has been up an running for a few weeks not. I used turbo start to short cycle it. I think this is either the 2nd or third week it has been running and evrything has been great, as of right now the tests are as follows;
nitrate about 20 ppm nitrite about .5 ppm hardness about 100-110 alkalinity/buffering about 80 and ph 6.8-7, the alkalinity seems to be getting lower.
I have 3 angel fish, 2 fairly small and one fairly large. 3 platties, one male betta, 2 ghost shrimp, a clown loach and a cory. should I be doing the first water change now? and does all of this seem in line.

just to ad, I have been doing this for a while and have had good success with all my tanks, and considered my self semi knowledgeable, but you guys blow me away. and I take everyones opinion and advise seriously and hope to better my self from it. Thanks. Dan

Doing a water change would be a good idea IMO. Nitrites of 0ppm are the ideal condition.

Any pics of your tanks and fish?

Are you using the test strips? By the results that you gave, it seems likely. Have you tested for Ammonia?

yeah I have the 5 in one test strips. Im trying to get a digital camera to get some pics. hopefully soon Im pretty proud of what I have so far.

I don't take much stock in the strips. You need to get a liquid reagent test kit. They are cheaper and more accurate. At this point you need to test for Ammonia. Can you go to a lfs and have them test your water qith a reagent kit? If not, you may want to try buying one.

yeah ya may wanna stear away from the strips they can go bad just from opening the lid a bunch of times, apperently the reagent meets with moisture in the air and makes them invalid, happened to me

Back
Top Bottom