Fish definitely are too curious for their own good..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a new decoration a few weeks ago that's this big thing that has a little house with a river with a little bridge over it and a water wheel. Bubbles go up under the river, which is covered by plastic to keep the bubbles under, and rolls the water wheel. Well here's Geisha, the world's curious little betta fish, somehow manages to get up UNDER the decoration and tries to swim up "river" and gets herself stuck in the bubble river and can't get out because she's being pushed back by the bubbles and is kinda on her side because it's not meant to be big enough for fish to get into. Now, I can't find her and I suddenly see this little thing swimming against the bubbles so I quickly unplug the bubble pump and lift one side of the ornament so she can swim out and she quickly swims out and is stressed and a bit torn and what not. So you think that she would learn not to do it again? Ohhhh no...must be too much of a thrill...lol She does it again and this time she's having problems getting out and almost gets stuck in there. Now I have no way of reaching in that river and getting her out without breaking the $30 dollar thing so if she can't get out, I have a problem. So after like 3 minutes of her struggling to get out, she finally came out again.... when do fish ever learn? lol

Geisha is a dumb fish but I love her.... I can't wait til I bring my other 6 females home and see if that happens to them. I still can't figure out how she got under the decoration in the first place.

I had the same type decor except it was a mountain with caves and a river with bubbles and the same problem but with smaller danios. Then the loaches started hiding in the mountain and I couldn't see them and I decided then and there to remove it. I have a ton of caves I built for them. They can hide but now I can still see them. I like to be able to see my fish, if they can hide without being seen and get sick then what?

take some segments from plastic plants (the ones that you can adjust the height of) and use them to block the paths that the fish use to enter the decoration . . . keeps the fish out, but still allows the air and water to flow through.

Yeah but I can't figure out how she got in lol

I only have a couple fish that like to hide right now and it's in my plastic castle but he does come out sometimes to find food and what not, and the other thinks he's hiding but he's too big not to see

Back
Top Bottom