Fish diseases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was reading up on freshwater fish diseases on fishlore.com and majority of them are caused by bad or poor water quality and can be cured by doing water changes. So as long as I keep up on my weekly water changes and don't overfeed than my fish should be fine and not get sick?

That's the goal!

The people on FishLore tend to distrust added chemicals in general, including meds. Not all fish diseases are caused by poor water quality. There are truly some pathogens that could cause problems in the most pristine conditions.

Usually a fish's immune system can kick whatever ails the fish if the immune system is able to work on it. If the immune system is coping with ammonia, it can't battle hexamita. Keeping water quality up helps the fish fight off opportunistic diseases and parasites.

Should I still keep some meds on hand just in case or should I be fine?

If you have meds, there's no need to get rid of them.

And, seriously, parasites, bacterial infections, and fungi probably need treatment beyond water changes by the time you or I notice them. We just don't have the experience to know before a fish is actually compromised.

If you have meds, there's no need to get rid of them.

And, seriously, parasites, bacterial infections, and fungi probably need treatment beyond water changes by the time you or I notice them. We just don't have the experience to know before a fish is actually compromised.

I don't have any meds. That's why I was wondering if I should get some so I have them if I were to ever need them.

Ann...

By simply removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, you can avoid a tank problem of any sort. Small tanks up to 20 gallons, require a 50 percent water change a couple of times a week. Larger tanks can go a week or a bit longer between large water changes. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the better. More in this case, is always better.

B

Ann...

By simply removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, you can avoid a tank problem of any sort.

As long as you don't introduce pathogens. This is where quarantine comes into play. If you bring a plant or critter into your home and add it directly to your tank, like I have done with every single addition so far despite knowing better, you could introduce unhealthy bacteria and parasites.

As long as you don't introduce pathogens. This is where quarantine comes into play. If you bring a plant or critter into your home and add it directly to your tank, like I have done with every single addition so far despite knowing better, you could introduce unhealthy bacteria and parasites.

nir...

If you keep a healthy tank with large, frequent water changes, your fish won't have health problems and the chances of a healthy fish in pure water conditions being infected by some sort of virus, bacteria or parasite are extremely remote.

B

keeping your water pristine and staying on your water changes can help a ton! but that doesn't mean your fish won't be vulnerable.
it's true many bacterial infections can be countered this way like fin rot but any number of things could cause a bacterial outbreak in one fish without it harming or spreading to other fish. a fish that is stressed out in any way from having new tankmates or you waiting one day too long to have a water change will have a lowered immune system. this can allow bacteria or fungal infections to take root on your fish. now if it is severe enough your fish's immune system might not be able to bounce back enough to fight it if is still dealing with the original cause of stress along with suffering an outbreak.
some fish just aren't as hardy as others when it comes to this kind of stuff.
water changes are more of a preventative measure not a treatment plan. and might actually exacerbate the illness/infection.

parasites such as ich or velvet or are a different ballgame. they can and will spread to other fish. and these are the main reason for quarantines. a fish you get at a store could be suffering from a parasite (internal and external) and it may not be immediately noticeable to you. you add them to the tank and then suddenly you start seeing white spots on all of your fish or possibly something not as obvious but your fish are still getting sick and maybe dying.

i use tetra life guard tablets with my fish and it has helped with two ich outbreaks (I didn't quarantine new fish), one bacterial infection with a betta (he had a bacterial infection from a fin he ripped on a piece of driftwood that turned his once vibrant blue color to red, and if he was red i might not have noticed this at all), fungal outbreak on some new fish, fin rot, helped with healing of nipped fins, and probably helped with some internal parasites that I wouldn't have noticed until it was too late.

Back
Top Bottom