Fish quality question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm just curious. When you get new fish, do they usually get sick within first month? If so do you usually nurse it back to health or return?

I don't know if its my luck. Or if its just how it is (to get sick fish!). When I had tanks 10+ years ago I never had so many problems with them. I never QT them and they were always from Walmart (this was all lack of knowledge obviously). Those fish lived for 5+ years. Now it seems like either IM doing something wrong or ???. My first fish were khulis from LFS back in feb-march, all went well and are healthy to this day. I would order from them again but last time i went to check out their stock, i noticed many sick/skinny fish (so disappointing!). End of march i purchased neons from petsmart. They had ick so I treated (heat) but all started dying slowly so I returned. Khulis survived ick obviously and the treatment. Last Monday I got 9 Von rio tetras from petsmart (was just so tired of staring at an almost empty tank!) and one died first day (had blood spots on stomach) and today another one dead. I am about to return the bunch because I am just so tired of this! I understand why people order online and am seriously considering spending 35$ in shipping for 2-3$ fish if the quality is good. Back to the main question, I just am wondering is this just the way the hobby goes (must nurse fish back to health every new batch) or is it my luck?

My params are all great. PH-7.6 and rest 0s on both tanks. I acclimate them carefully. And QT the Von rios (neons taught me to QT!). I just don't understand =( I am hating all these fish dying on me! It almost makes me want to just keep planting my tank and have my 4 Khulis live a lovely life in a 30g all alone. No new fish.

I haven't had this problem, you should find a reputable LFS and avoid petco/ walmart

i'm sure you're aware of the fact that national chain stores get their fish every week or every other week. therefore it's wise not to get any new fish that just arrived. rather wait for at least a week and ask the pet associates courteously of how long they have had these fish for, the longer the better. this advice is to supplement the fact that you don't know or don't have any reputable lfs around you. the managers of the lfs near me actually go to the fish vendors themselves and pick out fish one by on(i asked them about the details of fish selection). the national chain store, however, gets shipment by the boatload and cares not the conditions of the fish before they get shipped. they don't go through the thorough fish selection that the lfs normally go through.

i'm sure you're aware of the fact that national chain stores get their fish every week or every other week. therefore it's wise not to get any new fish that just arrived. rather wait for at least a week and ask the pet associates courteously of how long they have had these fish for, the longer the better. this advice is to supplement the fact that you don't know or don't have any reputable lfs around you. the managers of the lfs near me actually go to the fish vendors themselves and pick out fish one by on(i asked them about the details of fish selection). the national chain store, however, gets shipment by the boatload and cares not the conditions of the fish before they get shipped. they don't go through the thorough fish selection that the lfs normally go through.

Our petsmart gets them on Thursdays. Not sure how often or what. There are only 2 guys there who know anything about fish and even they don't get their fish from petsmart =( they order online. I just got greedy and really wanted a nice school in my tank already! And thought maaaaybe it was that one time. I mean if its so bad how are they still open?

I currently live in Florida, you would think tere would be many LFS! Alot that I find online or in phone book are always closed down. They are only open at most 6 months. I don't know if its the area? On their face books they seemed like really badass fish stores too. Lots of variety and like they truly cared. There are only 2 LFS (other than petsmart and pet supermarket). One was the one I usually go to and going down hill and second the fish dealer to the store went on news and said not to buy his fish because he hasn't paid him for them. There are a few nice ones an hour away but they are strictly salt water.

3 hrs away there is a nice local owned petland. I wouldn't mind driving out there every so often (I do anyways to visit out that way) but I would really like ONE near me just to pop in on weekends and look around. Buy a plant or so you know? I suppose I should have thought this all out before starting this hobby up again!

I am just glad to hear it isn't MY wrong doing. Cause I feel really bad for them. Especially returning them, cause I'm sure I know what will happen to them. And I feel like I'm just giving up on them.

Most fish whether from the LFS or a large chain store come from the same wholesale suppliers such as Seacrest farms (spelling). There are many factors such as the overall health of fish when they come in. Some fish have weakened immune systems by the time they go from catcher to however many brokers to dealers to shops so by the time they are bought by the consumer they are just in a weakened state and can easily succumb to parasites or illness. But if you buy from a single source and fish continually die or get sick then that tends to indicate a problem could be with the store. I've bought fish from breeders to LFS to Pet Smart to large on-line places such as Live Aquaria and honestly have had good and bad luck with all but overall mostly good luck. Last week I brought in 10 rummynose and 10 cardinals from LiveAquaria. Put them in QT and within one day the rummy's had ich but the cardinals didn't nor have they contracted it. And the cardinals are tiny. So obviously the cardinals in this batch are quite healthy. The rummies not so. It just depends on the fish themselves. But I will also say I've been in the hobby and buying fish since the 70's and honestly I agree that fish today seem far less hardy than from years past. Why, who knows.... maybe pollution since most fish are wild caught or maybe just the sheer number of fish being caught and processed compared to the amounts 20-30-40 years ago. Don't give up! If your local fish stores aren't working switch to a different source and be sure to quarantine to save yourself headaches.

I think I'm going to try an online store. I love live aquaria but I am looking for dwarf rasboras and they don't have any =( what are some other genuine online stores? I remember someone started a thread on this a few days ago but I can't find it!

I took back the Von rios =( was so sad. They kept dying and I know it wasn't my fault (parameters continued to stay well.). The petsmart lady told me it was cause I added to many at one time (rolls eyes!!!) that I should add only 2-3 at one time even IF they're schooling fish. 8 at once was apparently too stressful. Oh yeah and she tried to tell me the blood spots were probably from my Khulis (who weren't even in same tank!!!). No one could tell me what blood spots were. But as I looked at the tanks, I noticed the Von rios there ALSO had some (some horribly!) and tere were alot of dead fish =/. Haha and these cichlids kept jumping out the tank, they must know. I felt bad cause they kept jumping out into that hard floor! And she kept throwing them back in and it happens over and over.

I am going to order some angel flake food online (can't remember exact name!) but I believe the Von rios had some kind of parasite. They had blood spots on tummy. And the angel food flakes help combat different parasites and health issues, also had vitamins. I wrote the name down. I remember a guy mentioning it on here, how every fish he gets he QT and feed them that brand so thought I would give it a try.

I know The Wet Spot is pretty great. HUGE selection, too. Great service, also.

YES!!! I checked them out (they were on that thread I can't find!) and I wish SO badly I lived near them! The store looks sooo amazing. I would be there lile every weekend. I like they're variety and prices (I never knew silver Khulis existed!) it just makes me a little nervous that they don't have a 14 day warranty.

YES!!! I checked them out (they were on that thread I can't find!) and I wish SO badly I lived near them! The store looks sooo amazing. I would be there lile every weekend. I like they're variety and prices (I never knew silver Khulis existed!) it just makes me a little nervous that they don't have a 14 day warranty.

yes, i suppose you will have to "play" with the online retailers a little bit. LiveAquaria does have one of the best, if not the best, guarantee out there.

Back
Top Bottom