fliter media change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awilson133

Aquarium Advice FINatic
alright Im glad I checked my 55gal aqueon fliter when I did because its starting to flow over the bypass..ive only had it a week or so after switching from a marineland hot magnum canister filter 250. my aqueon fliter is the 55/75. do I change both or one cause there?? both clogged up badly.

Is this on your cycling tank or another tank? Do not change them! Just swish them in some used tank water to remove debris. All of your bacteria are growing on these filters (which will fall apart fairly quickly). Because the aqueons have lots of room, go purchase some foam filter inserts (aquaclear size 70) & cut them in 1/2 & place them in front of the filters. You can also cut another one up & place it in the left side of the filter as well (just empty space right now) to give your bacteria more room to grow. :)

no this is on a cycled 55gal. I did change one but not both. and used the cycled filter from the 55gal to put in the 29gal to speed up my cycle.

Never change both at the same time. It's amazing how much gunk you can get off of filter media in order to continue using it. When we are doing our water changes using our python, I go to the bathroom sink where the python is hooked up and there's enough flow of used tank water coming through for me to rinse off the media really well.

so when can I change the other?? like a week from now. I tried rinsing it last night but couldnt get it clean that well..so I just put it in my 29 gallon that im cycling.

Once you get on a cycle, you can change one out every 2-3 months or so. I only change out my filter media maybe 3-4 times a year. By rinsing every water change, it really extends the life.

Back
Top Bottom