FLOATY FISH - anyone know about this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppy grandma

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my ornada has a tendancy to take off bottom 1st and floats about in the middle of the tank, she seems quite happy, eats well and when she "concentrates" can swim quite normally. I was told by lfs that this was swimbladder. Also spoke to UK fish doctor, who said that sometimes they get a piece of gravel stuck in the mouth, which can make them head heavy. However, he leant towards swim bladder, both advised peas & bloodworm.

I've done a lot of research and didn't think it was typical swimbladder, but being new thought perhaps she had a mild form.

Last night I was pointed to a UK site and a post on "floaty fish", the description seems to fit in with my little one's symptoms, but the discussion seemed to be all over the place as far as cause was concerned. It went from gulping at the top of the tank, wrong food, feeding at wrong time of day, water bar not being fully across the tank and many more.

Not wanting to continue with possibly the wrong treatment, any ideas from the experts please. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom