Food Substitute for Pleco.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am concerned that my Pleco is not getting enough to eat.I have tried sinking waffers, and it eats them if the other fish don't get to them first, which they always do. What can I put into the tank that the Pleco will eat. I tried carrots, didn't work though. I have heard cucumber works, can anyone validate that theory, or please suggest something that will suffice. Let me edit in the specific type of Pleco. it's a Gold Nugget Pleco, if it makes a difference.

I've tried cukes, and my plec couldn't have cared less. That being said, some other folks on here (sweets I think) have had good success with cukes. Now I HAVE tried zucchini, which was a big hit in my tank; not only did the plec practically inhale it, but the loaches and the angels thought it was pretty yummy too. They even ate the rind, which supposedly they don't like.

It generally suggested to blanch veggies before feeding them to the fish; you can cheat by heating it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds and letting to cool before putting it in. You wil want a veggie clip or rubberband it to something in the tank as it will float otherwise.

Lastly, don't leave it in the tank too terribly long; don't want it rotting in there. I left the cucumber in for about 12-14 hours overnight. When no one touched it by morning I removed it and threw it away. The zucchini was eaten overnight.

As an aside, you might want to put the algae wafers in right after you turn off the lights for the night. Chances are your plec does a lot of his feeding then, unlike the others, and stands a better change of getting to the wafer.

Yea, he/she is very nocturnal. I have had more success feeding it at night, but the other fish catch on. I will give zucchini a shot. Seems idea for a Pleco. Thanks again Alli.

Np :) I think your plec will be thrilled! Btw, don't be surprised if the angels and loaches enjoy the zucchini just as much as the plec. I sliced it into 3 pieces; the loaches claimed one and spent the night clicking away *grin*

Question for ya; sorta off topic.

I was perusing your signature; we have similar tanks (I've 5 angels, 3 clowns and a plec in mine as well as amazon swords, java fern and some hygro) except for size. Do you have a larger tank looming in the future? I don't remember. A 20g is pretty cramped for 4 angels (10g is the recommended per angel) and if your plec is a common plec, its gonna get HUGE. Mine has; its about 8 inches long atm...took about a yr to reach that size. I figure it'll be over a foot long by this time next year...eeek! Is why I have my crew in a 55g. Plus, you've other fish in the tank as well; its kinda crowded. And....what kind of angels do you have? Love angelfish!

Hehe, Yes I admit it's very crowded, I have a 46gallon Bow Front that I am waiting for my best friends dad to help me build.(home made stands are the best) They all get along very well though. I have a Gold Nugget Pleco, I don't know much about the breed, but have kept Pleco's before and they do get gigantic. In fact thats why I was worried about mine, he's not growing. As for Angel Breeds. I have 2 Marble Veil 1 Gold Veil and 1 Black Angel. Here's something weird. I have had the Gold Veil and the Black Angel for maybe 2 months. And they don't appear to be growing. I am not sure if those breeds are smaller by nature or if they won't grow since the other two are huge, They get fed every other day so they aren't going hungry.

Ooo...marble veils. I've one; its a gold marble superveil combtail pearlscale LOL so many genes expressed in a little fish.

You know, I have come across a similar situation with my guys. In May, I "saved" 2 standard golds from the local Petsmart. They were about the same size (about quarter size). Since then, one is almost adult size; the other is barely silver dollar size. Can't figure out why. I've one 2 yr old angel thats full grown, and 2 other juvies (the marble and a black lace) which are obviously getting bigger. Maybe its a mutant? I don't think its diet related, in your case or mine, although my guys are fed twice a day.

Just to jump back to the original topic, I have a common pleco who does really enjoy cucumber, which is really nice, because my other fish don't, and like yours...he rarely gets at his wafers before they do (although lately, he's been trying to push the thing into his little hideout before they get to it...kinda cute).

I also tried zucchini...but just the opposite of Alli, it went untouched...didn't do more than sniff the durn thing. Greens + lettuce usually get a little attention, but its the cukes for my common plec.

Thanks Sweets. Mine might just be picky. I do have a piece of driftwood in the tank, which is supposedly good for pleco's. They will rasp the wood. Maybe he just eats the Driftwood.

Just to let you know about your goldern nugget plec, there are quite a few that look the same. You have L18-L81-L85, they are Baryancistrus sp. There is also Scodiancistrus as well.

The L18 is Baryancistrus sp. GOLDERN NUGGET 18-25cm
The L81 is Baryancistrus sp. XINGU-ORANGE-SEAM-PLECO 10-15cm
The L85 is Baryancistrus sp. XINGU-BARYANCISTRUS 20-25cm

There is also a L14-L14a Scobiancistrus aureatus GOLDERN-PLECO 30-40cm

The L18 and L81 are sometimes sold as the same Goldern Nugget but you can tell them apart as the L81 has smaller dots.
But they all have the yellow/goldern stripe on the dorsal and Caudal fins.

As for a suppliment food anything that is veggie. Algae,Lettice,Cucumber,Spinnage, Peas etc.. and Zucchini what ever that is.

HTH

It could be that he's being picky...as I read in another post somewhere...plecos probably don't find lettuce and cucmbers floating down their amazon streams...so sometimes I kinda wonder if they're just suspicious of what we're trying to pass off as food LOL

A pleco can eat just about any fruit/vegitable you can. Just watch out for things that will dirty the water quickly like bannanas. I get this from a thread someone started at planetcatfish, not from experience.

Back
Top Bottom