Found a survivor in my 60 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docrak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a new inhabitant in my 60-gallon community tank. It was a small mollie fry about a half-inch long. I think it was from one of my gold dust mollies that I raised in that tank. This is the second fry I found swimming in this tank. About a week ago I rescued three sailfin molly fry from my HOT Magnum filter. With as many predatory fish in there as there are such a mean tetras and angelfish I’m amazed that a single fry survived. Maybe one day I’ll get surprised with some tetra babies.

Maybe one day I’ll get surprised with some tetra babies.
Don't :shocked!: Wrigglers and free swimmers are so very tempting. Mollies luck out because they have so much mass when they are born :wink:

Congrats on the fry - that is so cool to spot a tiny baby when you don't expect it!

I have serpae tetra fry pretty regularly in my community tank, also with an angel, a dwarf gourami and rainbow fish, and I have no explanation for it, other than there are some great hiding spaces, LOL!

When I had rainbows in my 29 with my mollies I went a long time with no fry. Those fish were so good at catching fry nothing survived. They say survival of the fittest. I find it amazing how some fish can overcome insurmountable odds to survive. Kind of like nature I guess.

I have a lot of spaces in my 55 where anything larger than a serpae can't get, and I guess that is why. Those boesemani's are really into their live fare, though - probably more so than my angel. Still, I could not believe my eyes when I saw the tiny vivid red chap peek his head out of a cave. Nothing I can do but let things roll - my serpae numbers are slowly increasing though.

Back
Top Bottom