Found something strange in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Three something's strange actually.

I saw one of these last week also. I know it's not that great of a pic but if someone can tell me what it is that would be great. They are on anubias leaves. I have not tried to disturb them yet. All three look the same.

Attachments

• image-1284903519.jpg
    image-1284903519.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 182
Ok, I'm bumping this back up as I have more and I have no clue what they are. They are very small, clear with an opaque center and a brown or black spot on the top. I see one now on my glass and it is moving, or rather, the opaque center it moving around.

Ok, I will try to take a better pic but they are just so small.

The one on the glass also seems to be moving around the glass... Very slowly.

blert said:
Ok, I will try to take a better pic but they are just so small.

The one on the glass also seems to be moving around the glass... Very slowly.

How big are they

Ok, better pics...

The one on the glass is maybe a hair over one eighth of an inch.

Attachments

• image-1050211368.jpg
    image-1050211368.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 120
  • image-1922448141.jpg
    image-1922448141.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 99
maestromad said:
Are they snails?? Just a guess no knowledge personally

They seem to not have a shell. I noticed these things weeks ago actually and none have ever gotten bigger. The one on the glass in the pic above is actually the largest one I have ever seen.

If it matters, I have a virtually non-existent KH so I don't think snails would survive for long with no way to grow a shell.

They look like lechens (sp?) which is a type of snail. I wish I had some lol

GodFan said:
They look like lechens (sp?) which is a type of snail. I wish I had some lol

Can't find anything on "lechen" or "lichen" snails via google.

You can have them. Why do you want them? Are they at all beneficial? Are they dangerous to the fish and plants?

Not that I know of. I just think they are cool because they are unusual. I like a wide variety in my tanks lol

lichen came up with fungus... oops. I know what Im talking about in my head! lol

Yes, they are definitely limpets. That's the common name, I've heard they're not related to the actual marine limpets, but that people just call them that since they look the same. I think the shells are just so small and clear you can't see them. They shouldn't pose a problem if your fish are snacking on them!!!

I put a dozen trumpet snails in my aquarium to help with my algae, and my gourami ate half of them in 5 minutes!!! The others are still there, must not taste too good!

Yeah, me too. It's so funny that I like the things other people consider pests. At the store I asked how much the trumpet snails were, the guy gave me this look...he said they're free because they're pests!!! Whatever, I think they're cute!

Yeah, me too. It's so funny that I like the things other people consider pests. At the store I asked how much the trumpet snails were, the guy gave me this look...he said they're free because they're pests!!! Whatever, I think they're cute!
mine gave them away free to. But I dont know if they will anymore. Just passed a law in in the state that they are illegal to own, trade, breed, or give away lol

Back
Top Bottom