Found something strange in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sisserydoo said:
Yes, they are definitely limpets. That's the common name, I've heard they're not related to the actual marine limpets, but that people just call them that since they look the same. I think the shells are just so small and clear you can't see them. They shouldn't pose a problem if your fish are snacking on them!!!

I put a dozen trumpet snails in my aquarium to help with my algae, and my gourami ate half of them in 5 minutes!!! The others are still there, must not taste too good!
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to hold feeding time for a couple of days and see if my fish really graze on them. They seem to like diatoms. I find them mostly on areas high in diatoms, like my big anubias leaves.

GodFan said:
Yes limpets lol I want some!
Where are you? I'll collect some and ship them to you if you like. Just pay shipping.

Sisserydoo said:
Yeah, me too. It's so funny that I like the things other people consider pests. At the store I asked how much the trumpet snails were, the guy gave me this look...he said they're free because they're pests!!! Whatever, I think they're cute!

I'll send you some too if you like.

I'll send you some too if you like.

Do you have that many? I thought there were just a few? But thank you very much for the offer, but I don't think I want any right now. I have an assorted cup of duckweed/plants/snails etc. coming from another member, so I'll wait and see what's in there first :)

Sisserydoo said:
Do you have that many? I thought there were just a few? But thank you very much for the offer, but I don't think I want any right now. I have an assorted cup of duckweed/plants/snails etc. coming from another member, so I'll wait and see what's in there first :)

I got to twenty and stopped counting. They vary in size from really tiny specs (babies) to about 3cm. Let me know and if I still have some when you want them I'll send them to you.

Maybe I'll rebuild my ten gallon and try to keep them thriving. I just don't like them in my main tank.

Not right now but thanks! I need to lay off spending money for a little bit. Other hobby is killing me and now I gotta work on my tank lol

Back
Top Bottom