Freshwater Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright so there is WAY too much conflicting info on the internet to research these properly so here I am :) My LFS has golden clams. I have wanted some for awhile but was nervous to try. So here we go. Can they survive in a planted tank kinda like filter feediong shrimp? At least that is what I was told...
Thanks and God bless!

I'm not sure that I've seen a definitive answer for this. They seem to work out for some people and not for others. Ive never tried them myself, but I bet if you target feed then phytoplankton or some other small food, they should live. They might survive on the particles in your tank, provided the tank is established and has enough flow. I would target feed to be safe.

--Adeeb

I'm not sure that I've seen a definitive answer for this. They seem to work out for some people and not for others. Ive never tried them myself, but I bet if you target feed then phytoplankton or some other small food, they should live. They might survive on the particles in your tank, provided the tank is established and has enough flow. I would target feed to be safe.

--Adeeb
^ He beat me to it. Depending on tank size, this is what I would recommend. In something like a well established 55 gal, you should be able to add one w/o having to worry too much about supplementing, but if it's a smaller tank you'll definitely want to add something for filter feeding inverts. I wouldn't add one to anything smaller than 20 gals, and would let the tank mature for atleast 6 mos before adding one.

I have read about people buying these and adding them to their tank, never to be seen again. Lol just a heads up!
Clarification: by disappearing they dig into the substrate and hide

Yes and I've heard horror stories of them dying in there and really fouling up the tank.

Its a 20 tall. Well established. Hopefully to be heavily planted soon.

I think your best bet would be to add just one, and also pick up a bottle of phytoplankton/zooplankton and supplement about 3 days a week.

I think your best bet would be to add just one, and also pick up a bottle of phytoplankton/zooplankton and supplement about 3 days a week.
Ill probably just skip the clams and get a bamboo shrimp lol /i dont need yet another special item to be constantly buying lol

You will most likely have to supplement a bamboo shrimps diet in that tank size or it will die as well....

Ill probably just skip the clams and get a bamboo shrimp lol /i dont need yet another special item to be constantly buying lol
Actually, not sure that's the best route for you, as I made that recommendation based on what I do for my bamboo shrimp in my 20 gal. They are filter feeders as well, so their care is largely the same as the clam.

I've had a clam for a little while now and I was not told I had to spot feed them, I really don't even know how I would since I havnt seen him open any wider than in these pictures. He hides down in the substrate and then comes back up all the time I think they do fine just sifting water.

Attachments

• image-1194426420.jpg
    image-1194426420.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2225606223.jpg
    image-2225606223.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 73
Yeah, they will do best if you squirt the food right at them. My filter feeding shrimp are often in hiding when I supplement so I just add it right in..so that works too.

I've had a clam for a little while now and I was not told I had to spot feed them, I really don't even know how I would since I havnt seen him open any wider than in these pictures. He hides down in the substrate and then comes back up all the time I think they do fine just sifting water.
You didnt spot feed him? Did you add food to the water?

You didnt spot feed him? Did you add food to the water?

Alright to make this simple i will discuss just how clams eat.

Clams, like oysters, have no eyes, ears, or noses, so they cannot see, hear, or smell. But they do have a large number of feelers, or tiny hairy projections on their gills. When the clam’s shell is open, these hairs fan the water, which is rich with small organisms, into the clam’s small mouth. From there, the food is digested in the stomach. Water and particles the clam cannot use flow out through the siphon, or neck.

So dont think to hard about these guys, as most aquariums have such an abundance of bacterium and phytoplankton such as green algae that its ability to survive is too easy.

Last edited:
Alright to make this simple i will discuss just how clams eat.

Clams, like oysters, have no eyes, ears, or noses, so they cannot see, hear, or smell. But they do have a large number of feelers, or tiny hairy projections on their gills. When the clam’s shell is open, these hairs fan the water, which is rich with small organisms, into the clam’s small mouth. From there, the food is digested in the stomach. Water and particles the clam cannot use flow out through the siphon, or neck.

So dont think to hard about these guys, as most aquariums have such an abundance of bacterium and phytoplankton such as green algae that its ability to survive is too easy.
So you thionk it would be ok without adding stuff? I mean I crush the flake food pretty fine anyway.

They do eat small particles of fish food but it may be difficult to get enough food for them crushed into small enough particles, the tiny hairs used to sift the water are so small they are practicably invisible to the naked eye. They are pretty self sufficient and eat consistently. I would say as long as your tank is properly maintained and aged it will do fine.

Sweet. I may try one and if it doesnt work thn Ill know better than to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom