freshwater shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DR NOTORIOUS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is your favorite type of freshwater shrimp, I would like your favorite ,and a pic if possible its basically for a family member that has a planted fluval 6gallon with crystal reds and cherrys

My favorites are bee shrimp and any of the tiger shrimp! They are both so cool!
Heres few pictures of my tiger shrimp:
img_1706436_0_c19d78f1cd809fa6261b17acac1a017d.jpg
img_1706436_1_a8eff8d250d8ef064f744da1bfa79777.jpg

And a picture of the bee shrimp(from Internet)

I get just as much enjoyment from my red cherry as I do with my amano as I do with my ghost. I love all my shrimp packs!

Have you guys heard of the eletric green shrimp that. Glow.......

I really like my blue pearls and yellows. Great color and very active, but at the same time I have to have love for my red cherry shrimp because that's where it all started. But then again my fire reds do look really nice against the various greens in a planted tank.

I get just as much enjoyment from my red cherry as I do with my amano as I do with my ghost. I love all my shrimp packs!

You have the same guys I do, but I'll add one more fun one, bamboo shrimp. Love watching them, they aren't suited for the 6g however.

RCS would be a good starter if you want something fancier than amano.

I am with DragonFish about the bamboo shrimp. MIne have DEFINITELY been my faves, though not good for small tanks of course. Other than that, I really like my rcs because of all the baby shrimp I get.

Bamboo shrimp can do ok with tetras, and ive had them in betta tanks with no problem. Basically anything too small to eat it thats not a killer..
My favorite shrimp is the vampire shrimp. I have one named charlie sheen that i LOVE watching. I think the only real difference ive noticed is he burrows alot, and also, he filters constantly, but will also get blood worms and eat them.
there cool, its like a its like a mini lobster, but no claws.
For a 6 gal. Id say cherrys, or if you dont want a possible shrimp overtake of the tank, then maybe amanos? I have one, and he eats soo much algae

Yeah, I agree wiht hippy guy. Bamboos do fine with anybody who doesn't bite them. They are kinda tricky to keep healthy though because they are filter feeders, not scavengers like most commonly available shrimp. Thats the main reason they need a big tank. They starve to death in smaller tanks with fewer micro organisms to feed on in the water column.

I had difficutly keeping a bamboo in a 10, but my vampire seems to love the space he has. Hes mostly an "under the log" kinda guy

ive got 3 bamboo in a communal 8 gallon shrimp tank, theyre with 5 glass, 7 rainbow, 4 bee (although permanently hiding), 10 red cherry & 1 orange delight. All are doing great, bamboos are become more adventurous and don't hide as much, but theyre doing great

What do they eat? Thats alot of filtering in only 8 gal. Mine eats micronized food, and algea that free floats in the column, and i have alot of feeding schedualed in the day. If you got that working, props, but like i said thats alot of filtering. Bamboo and the such really need 15 or 20 gal. Each id reckon. My vampire prolly only puts up with me because of the constant feeding scheduals i keep going

hippy guy said:
What do they eat? Thats alot of filtering in only 8 gal. Mine eats micronized food, and algea that free floats in the column, and i have alot of feeding schedualed in the day. If you got that working, props, but like i said thats alot of filtering. Bamboo and the such really need 15 or 20 gal. Each id reckon. My vampire prolly only puts up with me because of the constant feeding scheduals i keep going

until recently they were very shy and all 3 lived un there own corner of the tank (which was heavily planted) and nothing else went near bar a few pest snails, but this wk theyve been very active in the community feeding as both filter and scavenger. feeding has been controlled until recently due to the pest snails. but the community as a whole eats shrimp feed, crushed fish flakes, daphnia even bloodworms, but the bamboos seem to favor the crushed flakes for the scavenger feed

How long have you had them? Also, liquid feeder for certian coral might be better for the shrimp than crushed flake, as there would be more nutrients. Also, i noticed just crushed flake will cause them to go around scooping off the bottom with their filter hands, which will inevidibly kill them... :/

Back
Top Bottom