freshwater to saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Elizabeth

Aquarium Advice Regular
i think a friend told me this but i'm not sure if it's true... please dont laugh at me but are there really fishes that you can adjust and adapt from freshwater to saltwater? :oops:

from my experience/reading (which isn't much) There are no species that can go from strictly freshwater to strictly seawater. BUT....
there are many species who cross the borders between fresh and saltwater: For instance, Some Pufferfish (tetraodon sp.) do okay in pure freshwater when young but require heavy salinity as they mature. Some Brackish water fish (eg. gobies) SURVIVE in freshwater, but will not be happy. Also, there are some species that start in somewhat brackish water but need saltwater as they grow older.

I would check out some links on Brackish tanks/species if I were you, here's a couple links for ya:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html
http://www.aquariacentral.com/faqs/brackish/

Mollies can go either way. Often you will see mollies cycling a full marine tank. There are lots of fish that start out as FW and later need brackish to full salt, as workfortheman mentioned, but mollies are the ones most commonly kept as FW that can be acclimated to SW (I prefer to keep them brackish for optimal lifespan and health).

I was wondering if anyone kept mollies in a marine setup? I bet they look kinda funny in a marine tank ;)

My father in law used to, and if you are used to seeing them in FW, it definitely gives you a double-take! They really are remarkable fish.

Salmon do it as part of their natural life cycle...or were you asking for your aquarium? hehe! :)

Paul

MACATUA said:
I was wondering if anyone kept mollies in a marine setup? I bet they look kinda funny in a marine tank ;)

I used too until my Green spotted puffer (the reason it was going SW) ate them!

There are several puffers that are born in FW, live their juvenile years in BW & their adulthood in SW, only to go back to FW to reproduce.

MACATUA said:

I used too until my Green spotted puffer (the reason it was going SW) ate them!

thanks for the info guys... maybe if any of you were able to find other species of fish that can adjust from FW to SW you can place them here so that everyone can learn about them :D that would be cool

Many BW species are born in FW, but then need to travel out to sea just as salmon or species of sturgeon do.

Back
Top Bottom