fry tank filter cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fonze

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to set up a fry /quarantine tank and have a filter that I don't use any more. How long would it take to cycle if I ran it in my main tank?

It would probably take a couple weeks.

Would any of the media from your main filter fit in the smaller one? Fry don't have the biggest bioload so I doubt it would take a lot of media and if you've got a decent stock in your main tank it's probably got a a lot of bacteria built up.

tamtam said:
It would probably take a couple weeks.

Would any of the media from your main filter fit in the smaller one? Fry don't have the biggest bioload so I doubt it would take a lot of media and if you've got a decent stock in your main tank it's probably got a a lot of bacteria built up.

+1

A small amount of bio balls/ceramic rings or a piece of sponge will help get the new filter going for a fry tank. Test levels to be certain and perform gentle water changes if any levels spike higher than you want.

Jon

Unfortunately the filter is a juwel bio flow mini and only has one sponge. The only other way I can think of doing it is to use the fluval u2 I have in my main tank as a secondary filter. The main filter is an aquis 500 external. Then get a fluval u3 for my main tank and share the media as the u2 and u3 use the same bio noodles.

Back
Top Bottom