Fry tank help needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just emptied and cleaned out my 5 gallon tank. I filled it with treated water and have it up to 78*. I want to add my platy fry to this so they have more room to grow. I have a filter but, its a hang in tank power filter and I need to get some pantyhose to put over it first. If I were to secure an airline into the tank would this be an ok setup just fore my fry? Could it go without a filter if I did daily water changes of about 1 gallon? Also, I would be putting the air line directly into the tank with no bubble stone because I'm afraid the stone would cause too much turbulence for the fry.

Any other suggestions would be great. I need to get them out of the breeder because I have another platy ready to go at anytime.

Here is a photo of the tank so far.
img_1843776_0_15178c570e4584647e8a16f2f21a3772.jpg

And here is my fry waiting for a new home :)
img_1843776_1_65b12614751801fef8a2e61db708f372.jpg

You can get a sponge filter from Amazon for less than $7 shipped. :)

Elite Single Sponge Filter: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

Or you can diy.

Super simple 5 minute sponge filter - Tropical Fish Forums

I think the bioload of fry is tiny enough that daily water changes would probably be sufficient for a while. You can use a turkey baster to suck up stuff off the bottom of the tank if you leave it bare-bottomed. I'd like other opinions on not using a filter though. :)

Thanks! I think I will see if I can round up the materials to build one tomorrow.

So the hang in tank filter with the pantyhose over the intake would not be an ok idea?

Thanks! I think I will see if I can round up the materials to build one tomorrow.

So the hang in tank filter with the pantyhose over the intake would not be an ok idea?

As long as the filter isn't too powerful (which for a 5g, I'm guessing it's not...lol) I think that would be fine. Either that or put some sponge or filter media into the intake (assuming it's a HOB).

As long as the filter isn't too powerful (which for a 5g, I'm guessing it's not...lol) I think that would be fine. Either that or put some sponge or filter media into the intake (assuming it's a HOB).

Its a Tetra Whisper 10i hang in tank filter. Its meant for 5-10 gallons.

ccross said:
Its a Tetra Whisper 10i hang in tank filter. Its meant for 5-10 gallons.

That should be fine, I used to constantly try to take care of baby guppy and platy fry... but they breed like crazy n finally traded in all the females to stop the endless babies. I have a 5 gal that I used for fry. Throw some gravel/sand or whatever you have from your main tank to boost the small tanks cycle.
also babies like to have some sort of shelter/plants to hide in and feel secure.

That should be fine, I used to constantly try to take care of baby guppy and platy fry... but they breed like crazy n finally traded in all the females to stop the endless babies. I have a 5 gal that I used for fry. Throw some gravel/sand or whatever you have from your main tank to boost the small tanks cycle.
also babies like to have some sort of shelter/plants to hide in and feel secure.

Is not having any plants an issue? I have nothing extra at the moment and I dont know when I will me getting to the LFS again.

ccross said:
Is not having any plants an issue? I have nothing extra at the moment and I dont know when I will me getting to the LFS again.

No I just did it to make them happy. Also you don't need gravel in tank if you don't want it, it just helps keep your good bacteria built up. Also a weird thing about platies and guppies in my grow out 5 gal they always seemed to grow slower than the ones in the main tank. Idk if the small tank keeps them small or what but they definatly seemed to grow slower.

No I just did it to make them happy. Also you don't need gravel in tank if you don't want it, it just helps keep your good bacteria built up. Also a weird thing about platies and guppies in my grow out 5 gal they always seemed to grow slower than the ones in the main tank. Idk if the small tank keeps them small or what but they definatly seemed to grow slower.

I read to feed them 2 or three times a day so thats what I have been doing. Only powdered flake food at the moment but I'm going to try to get some brine shrimp for them this week.

ccross said:
I read to feed them 2 or three times a day so thats what I have been doing. Only powdered flake food at the moment but I'm going to try to get some brine shrimp for them this week.

Brine shrimp is so small, I bought some and only used it a few times. Really they seemed to like finely crushed flake food better. After all they are just baby fish, not like a puppy or something where you want the best food you can get for development. I've had tons of babys and a lot grew up in the main tank with no breeder net just fine living off flake food. IMO your fine with what you already have.

Really you'll probably get tired of constantly having babies and having to take care of them. Its neat for awhile but eventually you'll just leave them in the big tank and let nature take it course. Lol. That's what happened to me.

Back
Top Bottom