Furcata Rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found some of these at my nearest fs and I fell in love. I researched online, but if anyone has any experience with them please let me know. I asked the guy at the fs about them, but I became a little wary of his advice after he told my I could keep 12 of them in my 10 gallon and they would be fine:blink:.

Wow, no furcata discussion at all? I even checked the fish/plant profile. Just checking.

:(What a bummer. One of my male furcatas died overnight. When I checked him out it looked like a piece of shrimp was stuck in his mouth. I read that they have really small mouths, so I tried to chop up the frozen mysis shrimp the best I could, but apparently I didn't get it all. This is really concerning. I don't want to loose any others.

Reygan2 said:
:(What a bummer. One of my male furcatas died overnight. When I checked him out it looked like a piece of shrimp was stuck in his mouth. I read that they have really small mouths, so I tried to chop up the frozen mysis shrimp the best I could, but apparently I didn't get it all. This is really concerning. I don't want to loose any others.

Ah man :( I'm sorry.

Same thing happened with my boesmani. He grabbed a whole half of an algae wafer and tried to swallow it. Good thing I was there to make him drop it.

Unbelievable!! I'm losing another female!! It looks like she has something lodged in her mouth too. I can't figure out what's going on. This is crazy. I'm going to try to see if I can get whatever it is out....

Reygan2 said:
Unbelievable!! I'm losing another female!! It looks like she has something lodged in her mouth too. I can't figure out what's going on. This is crazy. I'm going to try to see if I can get whatever it is out....

Just scare her around with the net. That's what i did and he dropped it

Didn't work, she's gone. I have no idea how to deal with this. I have 2 males and a female left, and I am at a loss as how to care for them. I only fed them a tiny bit of finely ground flakes tonight.

Reygan2 said:
Didn't work, she's gone. I have no idea how to deal with this. I have 2 males and a female left, and I am at a loss as how to care for them. I only fed them a tiny bit of finely ground flakes tonight.

Maybe try feeding them frozen BBS? (defrosted in a cup of tank water before, of course) lol

Sorry I didn't see this thread till now. I feed my Threadfin Rainbows finely powdered Flake (using fingers), Hikari Micro Pellets ( also ground up with fingers) and Frozen BBS. They love the BBS and eat the other stuff just fine. No issues. I have them in a heavily planted tank so they can get away from each other and I feed them 2x a day but some days just 1x daily. I have floating plants so that helps keep them calm as well.

Club members have Furcatas, I almost got some. Except for carpet surfing, most have done well. My TF Rainbows are doing very well. I have 4 total.

Sorry I didn't see this thread till now. I feed my Threadfin Rainbows finely powdered Flake (using fingers), Hikari Micro Pellets ( also ground up with fingers) and Frozen BBS. They love the BBS and eat the other stuff just fine. No issues. I have them in a heavily planted tank so they can get away from each other and I feed them 2x a day but some days just 1x daily. I have floating plants so that helps keep them calm as well.

Club members have Furcatas, I almost got some. Except for carpet surfing, most have done well. My TF Rainbows are doing very well. I have 4 total.

Have you ever known them to strangle to death on food?
Last night I noticed that the females mouth looked strange, almost like something was lodged, but the more I think about it, I'm wondering if she bashed her face on the tank. They dart around like crazy, and they are in my 10g qt. Both fish that died had distorted looking mouths. Could this be what's happening?
I paid $9 a piece for these fish. Is this reasonable? I've never seen them for sale before.

Is QT heavily planted or bare ???

I would cover sides and back at least with black background, if you don't have plants.

It is heavily planted with a black background. It is my little plant experiment/qt tank. I'm almost thinking they are bashing into the sides of the tank.

I've been keeping mine in a well planted 26gal bow front and feeding pureaquatic pellets for small fish(like large dust particles) only other tankmates see some snails and panda corys

Attachments

• image-2960712270.jpg
    image-2960712270.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image-231872744.jpg
    image-231872744.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 90
Try buying Kens Golden pearls. They come in many sizes and are a good staple food. You can order them from Kensfish.com

Back
Top Bottom