Getting a free 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donkey Gun

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my girlfriend told me this morning before heading to the studio that her friend wants to get rid of their 55g with stand and everything... :O

"MINE!" I immediately shouted and demanded her to call him at 830am to put my name on it.

Now, I'm sitting here and thinking about the possibilities. I've decided since my 29g is overstocked (stocking list and photos on my profile) this tank will be an upgrade.

Once I have this new tank setup, filled, and transfer my filter media from my 29, should I slowly introduce my stock into the 55 or is this something I can do all at once since the bio load didn't change?

any thoughts, opinions, jabs, criticisms, and name calling is welcomed an appreciated!

Congrats on the new tank!! What a steal! If you are transferring everything directly from your 29 (ie filter media), your fish should be fine to be transferred immediately. Just make sure the temp & ph match your 29g. I would keep an eye on your water parameters for @wk or so just to make sure nothings amiss in the new tank. :)

Thanks for the input!

I don't even have the tank in my possession yet, so I've got some time to get this all laid out. I'll be sure to post photos once this transfer begins!

What are natural ways to raise or lower your ph? I hate adding any additives or chemicals for anything in my tanks.

Donkey Gun said:
Thanks for the input!

I don't even have the tank in my possession yet, so I've got some time to get this all laid out. I'll be sure to post photos once this transfer begins!

What are natural ways to raise or lower your ph? I hate adding any additives or chemicals for anything in my tanks.

DW lowers your Ph, so does peat I believe.

Raising Ph can be done with coral sand and certain types of rocks.

I can't really remember anymore as I'm tired lol

Why do you feel you need to change your ph? Unless its drastic number (6 or 9), i would not worry about it as long as its stable. Your fish are most likely already adapted to whatever your ph is.

jlk said:
Why do you feel you need to change your ph? Unless its drastic number (6 or 9), i would not worry about it as long as its stable. Your fish are most likely already adapted to whatever your ph is.

Hey jlk, no worries about my current ph. I'll be upgrading at the end of the week to a 55g and in the event the ph doesn't match the current params, I was curious to know any natural ways to adjust accordingly.

My next day off is Wednesday, so I'm hoping to pick it up then.

Mumma.of.two said:
What is your pH?
Oh and congrats on the new tank!

I'm not really sure to be honest, I haven't tested it in a looooong time. I will do that when I get home though. Maybe test it against my tap water to see what differences I'll be working with.

Donkey Gun said:
I'm not really sure to be honest, I haven't tested it in a looooong time. I will do that when I get home though. Maybe test it against my tap water to see what differences I'll be working with.

There shouldn't be a difference if you are doing frequent PWC. So the new and old tanks should have the same pH because their water is from the same source.

I would fill the tank & run it with the filter/aeration for atleast 24hrs to let it gas out & the ph should equalize to that of your 29g. Dont move the media until you are ready to move the fish. Your telescope should be very happy! Maybe can you can get him a buddy (if he doesnt already have one!)! :)

thanks jlk and mumma!

Due to the fact that this tank has been overstocked for awhile I've been doing 2 pwc/week. So mumma, your probably right, there shouldn't be much of a difference.

Jlk, yea I've got 2 telescopes, 1 calico and 1 gold. There is also a black moor... so I'm set on fish. I don't want to add any more.

My calico, Ollie, is such a character. He 'sleeps' in the same spot and position every night.. after watching television. LOL
It's not even a normal spot. He perches himself right on the leaves of this plant and holds on with his pectoral fins. It's really quite amazing.

The photo is kind of dark but you get the idea.

Attachments

• image-3743784911.jpg
    image-3743784911.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 158
Comfirmed. Picking up new tank tomorrow morning. So far, I have the day off which means aquaria mania.

Here's my current ph. Looks to be about 7.4, maybe 7.8, I dunno. These tests sometimes make me think I'm color blind. :O

Attachments

• image-3551613358.jpg
    image-3551613358.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 132
Comfirmed. Picking up new tank tomorrow morning. So far, I have the day off which means aquaria mania.

Here's my current ph. Looks to be about 7.4, maybe 7.8, I dunno. These tests sometimes make me think I'm color blind. :O

I think we are all a bit colorblind when it comes to these tests! :) I would say your ph is @7.8. You are maxed out on the regular ph (7.6) & it 'looks' orange-ish to me. How are things coming along?

As of now, I'm still only in the planning stages. I'm currently doing a 75% pwc on the 29 so I can slide it out of the way for the 55.

Since I have about 48 pounds of pool filter sand left over from my 10 gallon, I'm thinking that's what I'll use in the new 55.

Would this be safe for the goldfish? I imagine they'll just suck up the sand and blow it out while looking for food. And then I'll decorate the top layer with the current gravel I have in the 29.

Yes, its fine! I have pfs in 2 of my tanks. One is only pfs & the other is pfs & gravel & i only keep fancies. :)

Back
Top Bottom