Getting a free 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Operation: New Home
It has begun. Tank is cleaned and in place. Im currently cleaning the sand and should begin filling the tank within the hour. soooo excited.

Attachments

• image-3418329104.jpg
    image-3418329104.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 122
  • image-1056743534.jpg
    image-1056743534.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 141
Comfirmed. Picking up new tank tomorrow morning. So far, I have the day off which means aquaria mania.

Here's my current ph. Looks to be about 7.4, maybe 7.8, I dunno. These tests sometimes make me think I'm color blind. :O

Me too. I'm always asking my daughter to do a reading for me. We sometimes argue! LOL

Completely filled and heaters in place to bring up the temperature.

Attachments

• image-2434126778.jpg
    image-2434126778.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 118
The temperature is now matching my 29 gallon but I'm still waiting for the water to clear up. I'll probably begin adding the fish in the morning.

Couple questions though.

Should I cut up the existing 29g filter media and evenly distribute it in both compartments of the 55g filter?

OR

Put the entire 29g filter pump and all and run it with the 55g filter?

I hope that makes sense..

savage said:
Me too. I'm always asking my daughter to do a reading for me. We sometimes argue! LOL

HAHA! I ask my 6 yr old son, "What color does this (holding up test tube) match the closest. Since he doesn't know what color i want it to be he is quite beneficial ;-)

ocminpin said:
HAHA! I ask my 6 yr old son, "What color does this (holding up test tube) match the closest. Since he doesn't know what color i want it to be he is quite beneficial ;-)

LOL! Maybe I should adopt some color readers then.

The temperature is now matching my 29 gallon but I'm still waiting for the water to clear up. I'll probably begin adding the fish in the morning.

Couple questions though.

Should I cut up the existing 29g filter media and evenly distribute it in both compartments of the 55g filter?

OR

Put the entire 29g filter pump and all and run it with the 55g filter?

I hope that makes sense..

Either will work. Do you have immediate plans for the 29g? If you do, then put the media in the 55s filter. If not, then id would run them together. So, what are you going to do with the 29 now?

jlk said:
Either will work. Do you have immediate plans for the 29g? If you do, then put the media in the 55s filter. If not, then id would run them together. So, what are you going to do with the 29 now?

It turned out the friend I got the 55 from wants to downgrade. So we are doing a swap once I know my fish are happy. Which is fine, I was just going to sell the 29 anyways because my 1 bedroom apt cannot handle 3 tanks. lol.

This is where I stand as of now.

It's been about 16 hours since I added the water and it is still a little cloudy. The temperature and ph are exactly the same, but I'm afraid to add fish with the cloudiness the way it is. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image-991742036.jpg
    image-991742036.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2978262399.jpg
    image-2978262399.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 110
I would give it a bit longer to settle. If it doesnt see to be settling fast enough for you, you can always do some water changes to remove the fine particles (just dont disturb the sand). Are you running a filter on it yet?

Thank you for such quick responses!

No filter yet, because I didn't want the fine particles to mess up the pump. But, if you think it's safe, I shall begin...

OPERATION: tank jumper

I have setup a ring of fire between the two tanks and will begin to train them to jump into their new 55g home...

or maybe I'll just use the net.

Donkey Gun said:
Thank you for such quick responses!

No filter yet, because I didn't want the fine particles to mess up the pump. But, if you think it's safe, I shall begin...

OPERATION: tank jumper

I have setup a ring of fire between the two tanks and will begin to train them to jump into their new 55g home...

or maybe I'll just use the net.

Hahaha! :)
When you move the filter if you've got some filter floss put some in. It will help remove all the fine particles.

LOL!!! You can always put a piece of pantyhose or some filter foam (or both) over the filter intake to limit particles from being sucked up until things settle down. Nets are never a good idea with fancies- use a bowl or a pot instead so they can be transferred over in water (no fin damage). I use a big open-mouth pitcher from the dollar store when i have to move my guys around. :)

Just read the pitcher idea... Good idea, but too late for me. I am always particularly careful with these guys though. Ollie, the calico telescope, already had fin damage from when he was tiny. One of the other fish shoved him into a huge empty snail shell. I had to physically pull him out. But now he just has character.

All fish are transferred! The only one that still seems freaked out by the move is the Hi Fin. But he has always been a lil skiddish. All the rest are exploring and loooking for food.

Attachments

• image-893400930.jpg
    image-893400930.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 137
Looks good!!! You just need to fill it with some more plants! They look happy & i am sure they will enjoy their new home! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom