Giant Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuotheRaven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 67 gallon tank 48 inches long, with 6 giant danios in it, AqAdvisor states that they take up 63% of the stocking.

Does this seem a tad excessive? Many sources say a school can be kept in a 30 gallon long tank.

How large are they? They do get big and need lots of room to swim. I have 6 in my 75 gallon tank along with a school of large tiger barbs, a school of various Cory cats and a handful of other fish and they do fine and my bio load is in check. I don't have a crowded tank as far as decorations or plants go do they have plenty of room to go crazy - which they do and is one reason I enjoy them so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They're all pretty small right now, about 2 inches up to maybe 2.5-3. Would the fact I have a 37 gallon sump on the tank help reduce that stock %?

They will get bigger. I'm not that familiar with a sump, but in theory it would alleviate the bio load a bit (require fewer water changes to keep parameters in check). But the sump wouldn't help with the crowding. You'll just have to observe them to see if they seem crowded or not. Watch them at night in low light. That's when mine go nuts. If they start running into the other fish or decorations you might want to think about getting more room for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They're called giant danios for a reason. I've seen like 5" ones. For fish that get that big, are extremely active, and need a lot of swimming room, I'd say aqadvisor is right.

Back
Top Bottom