Glass catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pzul

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone ever kept class cats successfully.I have a 29 gal tank fully planted and many fish in it. I've always liked glass cats after reading about them I bought 5 for $5 each. All died so i replaced them after having my water tested and being motivated by the sales person. Again all but 3died.
I have fish in my tank that have been in the tank more than 19 months
What is wrong why can't I keep glass cats?

There's a lot of unknowns here...

What are your water parameters? What other fish are in the tank? Is your tank planted and with what? How are you acclimating the newcomers?

From what I know about Glass Catfish, they should do well in a community aquarium, but very much like both plants and strong water movement. Also, while they will eat flake food, they prefer live food.

Of course, the simplest explanation may simply be that they are coming to you with issues already.

Yes there are many healthy plants. Other fish are neons rummy nose Corry cats and some round silver ones I bought at wall mart I don't know the name of. I acclimate them by adding small amounts of tank water into a floating container over about half our.I was thinking that they were not in that great of condition from the pet store myself.

How much water movement do you have in the tank? They like to swim against a moderate HOB current. Also, thetetras are an issue. Glass cats don't compete well for food and if the tetras sworm them at feeding time they will not eat.

Glass cats are best kept with bottom dwellers like corycats. They do well with hachet fish as well.

Glass cats, K. Minor. (Bicirrhis) I have kept mine for at least 5 years. Never fed them live food. They have been kept with all species that I have kept except the puffer. I have kept many fish over the years.

I feed mine frozen black mosquito larvae exclusively. They will eat other food but not in the same way. They, by my experience only eat after lights out, either end of the day. Any time the lights are on they won't feed at all.

My advice to you, when you buy new fish, isolate the species, this way you can check not only for ill health but also when it eats and what it eats. When I started out I had frozen multi blisters with a few different types in and a range of dried foods, each day the fish were tried on a different type of food, at both times lights on/off. Notes were made on preference to food and light mode and time of day.
Some fish just eat, others are more specific.
The glass cats will tolerate pretty much any water condition pH 6.7/7.6 will present no problems, well filtered is a must. If kept with tetra, feed tetra first at lights on, feed cats lights off. Trust me they will fight for the food, they really come alive at feeding time, that's the reason I still keep them, to watch them eat.
I don't mention nitrogenous waste levels because these should always be kept to a minimum.

It probably wasn't the shop, both batches I bought lived for a considerable time.
Did you ever observe the fish feeding?

Back
Top Bottom