Glofish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredMiklosovic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I was thinking about getting some glofish, but I was wondering are they tattooed or are they genetically like that? Because fish being tattooed is just wrong.

A jellyfish gene is injected into the eggs. This does not seem to have much of an impact on the fish's lifespan, however I still don't buy these because IMO it's buying into the commercial nature of glofish. The company has increased the price of a zebra danio 500%, made $30 2 gallon tanks that aren't even suitable for them, and patented the fish, making it illegal to sell offspring that you will almost inevitably get. So in the end I would advise against not buying them, however it is better than dyed or tattooed fish.

I know many people here don't really like glofish but I feel that keeping them is acceptable.

they pressure treat the eggs so most of the time these fish are not able to reproduce. they are still completely against the law in California

Back
Top Bottom