Glowing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to a LFS a few months ago and they had a tank full of these little silver round fish that were lined with different brightly colored neon stripes on the top and bottom. I think they may have been injected with this coloring. I went back a few days later and they were all gone. From what I've read, I think this is bad. Is it correct that these kinds of fish die quickly because of the dye? Should stores like this be avoided? I felt like I should never go back to this store again. Am I being too much of a tree-hugger? Well, fish-hugger.

Are these the fish you are talking about? http://www.glofish.com/

If so, these are not injected but are genetically modified and are not harmed in any way - they are perfectly healthy, normal danios and though controversial, I don't see any reason to boycott the LFS that sells them. There are several threads here at AA discussing them at length if you want to do a search.

Hi TankGirl,

No, that's not what they were. They almost looked like little silver dollar fish. They had a stripe of coloration on the top and one on the bottom. The coloration was different colors - red, blue, green, yellow. The coloration was very bright. I'll check out the other discussions.

Thanks for your thoughts!

They looked exactly like the painted glassfish! Ohh, how horrible! :x I thought it was wierd because when I returned a few days later the whole tank was gone. I bet someone complained. I would have if I would have known what they were at the time.

I don't know why these fish continue to be popular, when there are so many bright, naturally colored fish available.
Neon tetras, cardinal tetras head/tail light tetras, glowlight tetras, Endler livebearers, rams...to name just a few.

i can tell you why they are popular ... because they are pretty ... problem is most people don't know or care to know that to get these fish colored like that is dangerous to their health.

can tell you why they are popular ... because they are pretty

Ding! We have a winner! Think of how boring a Neon Tetra is when you can get six different colors of painted fish for the same price. Pet stores should really labeled these fish for what they are IMO :( :roll:

Yeah, spreading the word about how these things are dyed is great. I wish this would end but I have seen these fish for years now.

Poor things!

Back
Top Bottom