Going on Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zjovana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I will be in Canada March 8th to 13th. I have 5 neon tetras and I was wondering what would be the best thing to do while I'm away. I have read that fish can go a week without eating but neon tetras are pretty tiny. Can they really last that long without eating? Would it be ok to buy a feeder? My tank just finished cycling so I was going to do a partial water change on Sunday. It should be ok then until I come back, right? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've never had to deal with leaving the fish home alone for an extended period of time (there's always been someone home to look after them while I am gone). I guess you could buy one of those 7 day feeders. If you do a water change right before you leave, your fish should be ok for the couple days that you are gone!

Hello. I will be in Canada March 8th to 13th. I have 5 neon tetras and I was wondering what would be the best thing to do while I'm away. I have read that fish can go a week without eating but neon tetras are pretty tiny. Can they really last that long without eating? Would it be ok to buy a feeder? My tank just finished cycling so I was going to do a partial water change on Sunday. It should be ok then until I come back, right? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

automatic fish feeders, Pet Supplies, Home Garden. Great deals on eBay!

Yeah, for that small load a fish feeder would probably work just fine for you. Just plan on doing a large water change when you get home.

Or you could just bring the fish on vacation with you, I'm sure they'd LOVE to see Canada :olympic:

LOL! I'm sure they would also really enjoy the 4 hour drive! Thanks everyone for your advice. I will purchase a feeder this weekend before I leave.

I really don't know anyone around here. I moved here pretty recently. But even if I did, I don't think I would be able to trust them. I don't even trust my boyfriend feeding them because he gives them way too much food!

LOL! I'm sure they would also really enjoy the 4 hour drive! Thanks everyone for your advice. I will purchase a feeder this weekend before I leave.

***how about some rep points???? click my scales :p***

ignore that viper beat me. I just re-read that and he said the same thing, I though he was on about those nasty feeding blocks........ :s

I really don't know anyone around here. I moved here pretty recently. But even if I did, I don't think I would be able to trust them. I don't even trust my boyfriend feeding them because he gives them way too much food!
you can put a days food in a bag and hide the rest of it. this will be better then a auto feeder. they dont even need to be feed every day.... just do it every other day.

If you can try and get it as soon as possible, I found it took a few days to get the correct amount to come out consitently. We had issues with settling and moisture.

When we have others feed we preload pill containers. Much easier than explaining the mess we feed.

We have an auto feeder, but use it as a last resort.

I've tried an autofeeder before and hated it. I just have a friend stop by to feed my fish while I'm away (like this week!) I put some food in a baggie to demonstrate how much to feed the fish and I'll PWC and clean up extra food when I get back.

Back
Top Bottom