Going through a hard stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have been going through a bad stage with my Guppies all have died what did I do wrong.

1. My orange tail Guppy had tears and holes in his tail I put him in a hospital tank then couldnt stay upright keep tilting to side and looking up uncontrollably.
2. My blue tail Guppy found dead behind filter with nothing wrong with him.
3. My yellow tail Guppy found dead behind filter with no head.
4. My black tail Guppy squeezed between filter and airline tubing with nothing wrong with him.
5. My yellow tail Guppy was giving birth to dead fry and then died.
6. My yellow tail Guppy squeed between breeding net and glass and died had big white wound near eye but not touching eye.
7. My orange/yellow tail Guppy couldnt stay upright keep tiping over and looking up then died in front of me.

Water Parameters are fine had them checked yesterday. What am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Should I stop fish keeping?

You had your water parameters checked? At your LFS? What did they check for? What were the values for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Did they use paper strips or a proper test kit?

How long had this tank been setup?
What size is the tank?
What filtration?
How long have you had the fish?
Any tank mates?

LFS check with proper test kit he said water was perfect 0,0,5. Had the tank setup for 3 months. Have a Juwel Bioflow Mini 200. Have 5 Neons, 2 Corys, 1 Pleco, 2 Kuhuli Loachs, 1 Zebra Danio and 3 Guppies at the time. 54 Ltr Juwel Korall 60

You need to invest in an API fw test kit as soon as possible. 54l is only @14gals- I suspect there may be stocking issues here but I will let the tropical experts advise. Is the pleco a common pleco? How often are you doing water changes? Did you cycle the tank before stocking it? What type of water conditioner are you using? Some more info will help us to help you better!

jlk said:
You need to invest in an API fw test kit as soon as possible. 54l is only @14gals- I suspect there may be stocking issues here but I will let the tropical experts advise. Is the pleco a common pleco? How often are you doing water changes? Did you cycle the tank before stocking it? What type of water conditioner are you using? Some more info will help us to help you better!

Leopard Pleco, PWC 45% Once a week, cycled my tank before added fish, dont know water conditioner but I'll post it soon

Can I ask how you cycled your tank before adding fish? Without a test kit, it would have been next to impossible to properly cycle it.

I had my water checked every week when cycling my tank at my LPS

Tetra Aquasafe
King British Safe Water
API Accu-clear
These are my water conditioners

How exactly did you cycle it? What did you use as an ammonia source? How often did you add your amm source & to what ppm? How long did you cycle it for? I suspect your fish issues may have to do with water quality issues that went undetected. Once you have a decent test kit, you will be able to monitor your water for yourself & resolve water quality issues before they become problem. Dont give up- we all hit a few bumps on the road of fishkeeping! Its all part of the learning curve & this forum is a great place to learn from! :)

Well, this is likely a factor here. You may have successfully cycled your tank to the bioload of fish that you had initially. Once you added new fish & increased the bioload, your tank would have gone back into a cycle while the bb re-established themselves to increase in ammonia. You likely had spikes in ammonia & nitrite that went undetected & it resulted in your fish issues. In the future, you will need to monitor your water daily when you add new fish to catch any possible spikes & do water changes to keep them in check. :)

Im thinking of added a betta and i want the water perfect so it doesnt die any suggestions. I'm buying fin rot care and bacterial care for the furture just in case any dieases occur

As suggested, you need to get yourself an API freshwater test kit. Monitor your water daily- when your amm/nitrite are steadily zeroed for atleast a week & you have nitrates, your tank is cycled to the bioload your tank has. When you add a new fish, you will need to monitor daily for spikes in amm/nitrite & do wcs as needed to keep them under control. :)

Have 5 Neons, 2 Corys, 1 Pleco, 2 Kuhuli Loachs, 1 Zebra Danio and 3 Guppies at the time.

The kuhli loaches require 5 or more and are not appropriate for this tank size. They need much more room.

Corys should be kept in 5 or more, 3 is okay.

The pleco is not appropriate for this tank. It'll get huge.

Zebra danios need more room. If you just keep the one, it will act out aggressively towards your other fish, most likely.

You should rehome the corys, pleco and kuhli loaches.

The tank size is appropriate for your neons and guppies, in my opinion and perhaps a dwarf cory, like the pygmy.

LyndaB said:
The kuhli loaches require 5 or more and are not appropriate for this tank size. They need much more room.

Corys should be kept in 5 or more, 3 is okay.

The pleco is not appropriate for this tank. It'll get huge.

Zebra danios need more room. If you just keep the one, it will act out aggressively towards your other fish, most likely.

You should rehome the corys, pleco and kuhli loaches.

The tank size is appropriate for your neons and guppies, in my opinion and perhaps a dwarf cory, like the pygmy.

I havent got any guppies now and im getting rid of my zebra danio

Back
Top Bottom