Goldies great move today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdrop7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yes, today I moved my 9 sweeties to the Sierra Water Gardens. :( 3 good friends helped me and I tried to do it gently, but of course they must have been quite traumatized. It was a lovely day but the pond water was much colder than there were used to . . . Anyway they dipped the plastic bag in for quite a while, then let them go. A little black oranda came up to see what was going on but most of the fish are already down under. Two of the goldies lay on their sides and I was quite worried, but when gently prodded, slowly moved. I hope they'll be OK, was probably a bit late to move them but I have hope as they are so strong. The couple with the pond really admired them for their beautiful color and seeming perfect health. It is a bitter sweet day. A page turned in my fish keeping adventure . . . :-\ I already miss them, we've been together so long . . . Thank you all for your wonderful help and input.

I had to do the same with a comet I was given. I had him so long and I knew he needed more space so I finally gave in. He's the fish that made me learn more, made me realize limitations and got me thoroughly involved in the hobby. I'm sure yours will be fine. :p

I do know it's hard, though. I was soo worried when I had to transition him and I almost felt like I was abandoning him. I still see him sometimes, though, and he seems to be in heaven with all that room to dart through!

Yes, today I moved my 9 sweeties to the Sierra Water Gardens. :( 3 good friends helped me and I tried to do it gently, but of course they must have been quite traumatized. It was a lovely day but the pond water was much colder than there were used to . . . Anyway they dipped the plastic bag in for quite a while, then let them go. A little black oranda came up to see what was going on but most of the fish are already down under. Two of the goldies lay on their sides and I was quite worried, but when gently prodded, slowly moved. I hope they'll be OK, was probably a bit late to move them but I have hope as they are so strong. The couple with the pond really admired them for their beautiful color and seeming perfect health. It is a bitter sweet day. A page turned in my fish keeping adventure . . . :-\ I already miss them, we've been together so long . . . Thank you all for your wonderful help and input.

It warms my heart that you understand . . . It was really hard to see the tank with no one in it. Yes, I too have learned from this experience, and now I don't want to wait too long to start again (while it is still cycled). to respond to your question Mark, I have seen some gorgeous fancies, but knowing they too will get huge, I have decided to go for freshwater tropicals. I've been doing a lot research again, mainly about stocking, and have bought live plants, sandy substrate which I mixed with the existing one, I've lightly cleaned the tank and will do a little aquascaping. I've also bought a heater and will add water to the existing tank water when I'm done. I'm thinking of starting out with some tetras (love the cardinals), then maybe a male and female gourami, and one or 2 bristlenose corys. but slowly as I hear tetras are so delicate and most of them don't make it. it's a 50g tank. any brilliant ideas? Thanks so much :)

I looove cardinals and neons. That's basically all that's in my 20g right now. When in large schools they are just a sight to behold. 50 is a lot of room to work with! For some awesome bottom feeders I'd do cory cats(if you like them), at least in a group of 4. They'd do excellent with the sandier subtrate, too! I'm really wanting to get a few shoals of them as soon as I get my upgrade tank next year.

Be sure to post pictures if you can. Always interested in seeing peoples tanks. :)

It warms my heart that you understand . . . It was really hard to see the tank with no one in it. Yes, I too have learned from this experience, and now I don't want to wait too long to start again (while it is still cycled). to respond to your question Mark, I have seen some gorgeous fancies, but knowing they too will get huge, I have decided to go for freshwater tropicals. I've been doing a lot research again, mainly about stocking, and have bought live plants, sandy substrate which I mixed with the existing one, I've lightly cleaned the tank and will do a little aquascaping. I've also bought a heater and will add water to the existing tank water when I'm done. I'm thinking of starting out with some tetras (love the cardinals), then maybe a male and female gourami, and one or 2 bristlenose corys. but slowly as I hear tetras are so delicate and most of them don't make it. it's a 50g tank. any brilliant ideas? Thanks so much :)

Thanks so much! so nice to know I now have room! I will keep all that in mind and will be sure to post some pics. I think i should start slow though, as I hear these tetras are so delicate. Planting the tank tomorrow:)

Going slow is definitely smart. :p I built my school up slowly, it was sometimes frustrating for sure, but well worth it.

What kind of plants are you doing?

Thanks so much! so nice to know I now have room! I will keep all that in mind and will be sure to post some pics. I think i should start slow though, as I hear these tetras are so delicate. Planting the tank tomorrow:)

I have seen some gorgeous fancies, but knowing they too will get huge, I have decided to go for freshwater tropicals

Great choice!

I've been doing a lot research again, mainly about stocking, and have bought live plants, sandy substrate which I mixed with the existing one, I've lightly cleaned the tank and will do a little aquascaping. I've also bought a heater and will add water to the existing tank water when I'm done. I'm thinking of starting out with some tetras (love the cardinals), then maybe a male and female gourami, and one or 2 bristlenose corys. but slowly as I hear tetras are so delicate and most of them don't make it. it's a 50g tank. any brilliant ideas? Thanks so much :)

So you've torn the tank down and rebuilt? So you'll have to recycle the filter?
As for Tetras, it depends on the tetra! I've got black skirt tetras and they are pretty much bullet proof! But I do hear neons are quite weak.

As long as she kept the gravel and the filter media wet while aquascaping, the beneficial bacteria should still be largely alive and well. As long as she is adding food to keep the bacteria happy, and/or getting more fish soon, she probably won't have to cycle the tank again.

Exactly Glassbird :) thanks for being here again. I did exactly that and when testing my water after these changes, (test tube) it was ammonia 0, nitrite 0 but nitrate a little higher. So... I went to my pet store and was advised to buy 3 serpae tetras, which I did and a few hours later they seem very content. So tiny after the goldies! We will see. We are expecting a huge storm tomorrow that is why I rushed a bit, not wanting to leave the tank without fish for 2-3 days, but what do you think, if in five days or so the serpaes are still alive :( I'll get some more as I know they like to be at least 6-10? Then my hearts is set on cardinals and or neons, but I have heard that these serpaes are slightly aggressive. Ever some challenge. But it is all exciting and cheers me up after parting with my magnificent 9 . . .

I am glad you have some fish in there. Re-cycling a tank is never much fun, especially if it can be avoided. I can't help you much with the tetras...never had one! I am afraid my knowledge is almost completely limited to goldfish! I did have a huge pair of gold sevrums in college, and they produced lots of babies, which I was able to raise and trade in for credit at the fish store where I worked at the time. But that was more than 20 years ago.

Well got some news from my pond people and they tell me all the goldies are fine . . . went to the bottom with the other goldies. (sigh of relief)! the 3 are still alive and they are eating. so so far, so good. they are so tiny:)
Now to respond to Khalix, these are the plants I have:
Micro sword-potted, Ludwigia bunch plant, Ludwigia Peruensis, Moneywort-potted, java fern bare root, amazon sword plant, anubias congensis, anubias nana-potted and variegated Japanese dwarf rush-potted.
They are in there and I hope at least some will survive. This is also a new venture :)

Back
Top Bottom