Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2004, 08:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Got an Otto...

I picked up an otto a couple of days ago. I'm nervous because I read they are very sensitive, so I'm watching him very closely. One concern that I had read about was that they are essentially starving at the LFS, and if they starve long enough either in transport to the store, or at the store, the good bacteria in their gut die out and they are unable to digest their food. He's been eating ok so far (his belly is full of dark green goodness now)...one thing I noticed as that he was pooping when I got him home - is it safe to assume that he was pretty well fed if he was pooing freely?
Also, to ottos have any other special needs aside from standard care? I know that if he runs out of algae (not in my tank!), I should give him zucchini or algae pellets. I wasn't able to find tons of info online, so I need to rely on your expertise.

sciencegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
I've had mine for a week now and they're doing well. I had some algae in the tank but not too much, and I haven't put any veggies in for them either. I also really like my LFS and have never picked up remotely bad stock from there, so that may have something to do with it. I was nervous about mine too, but I'm not anymore. Be careful for a few days, and then you'll be ok.

-j

Old 11-19-2004, 08:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Excellent research on your part sciencegirl. The only thing I would add is that they do better in groups. If you have the tank capacity, get your Oto 2 friends.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks BrianNY !
I've got only a 10 gallon tank, with 6 neon tetras and the one little otto. Would it be too full if I get another otto? The neons are really "into" him - checking him out and eating his poo . Crazy guys.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could add two more without a problem. Have fun
Old 11-19-2004, 05:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
ew......poo eaters

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 12:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with BrianNY, oto's are great little fish. You could have 3 in that tank because they stay so small. I have never seen one larger than 1-1/2 inches. I think they max out pretty close to that.

I love the ones I have in my tank. They do a wonderful job on keeping my algae under control and are barely more than 1" each! Powerful algae punch with a small bioload.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey sciencegirl, I have had my 3 for 2 months now and their stomachs are nice and plump. This website should help a bunch since you said you couldn't find much... http://otocinclus.com/

20 gal FW
3 jumbo neon tetras
3 bloodfin tetras
3 otos....1 with only 1 EYE
1 long finned red serpae tetra
1 chinese algae eater
1 male blond tux guppy
1 male red neon guppy
...and 10 guppy fry!!!!!
Mofo2713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 06:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Things are looking good so far - thanks for the link, Chris. I think that I'm going to get 2 more little fellas, assuming that my water parameters test ok tonight.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com