Gourami my in new tank - shy or stressed or sick??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bansal.1302

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am completely unexperienced and have recently set up a new 55G tank (1 month now since I started adding fishes after 3 weeks of tank prepping). I had started with 2 mollies and 6 rasboras - all nicely active and healthy. I brought 3 male dwarf gouramis yesterday (2 powder blues and one regular dwarf gourami). Initially for an hour or so all 3 of them were shy but after a few hours powder blues became fine. The problem is with the 3rd one. He is constantly hiding behind a big plant and is very slow and looks frightened, breathing heavily at intervals, sometimes totally still. I noticed the other 2 gouramis visiting him occasionslly, he tried to move/come out with them but as soon as he sees me, he stops coming out. I tried giving him flake food but he didn't eat the whole day.
I am worried becoz I got 3 mollies in the very beginning, one of which was behaving strangely right from day one, isolated, eating less, shy etc. He eventually died in 5 days. The store checked our water and said that no problem in your water, probably the molly was already stressed/sick. After that the other 2 mollies are doing great. Thd rasboras were introduced 1 week later and all are doing awesome as well. We change 30% water of our tank every week and add fresh stresszyme and primer in the tank. Yesterday I also got some more plants to setup in the tank, which I adjusted a few times after adding the gouramis. Is my gourami just shy or stressed/sick?? I am worried about it just like my molly that died earlier. Should I change 30% water today or give it some time. Its been 1 week now to change water.
Thanks

Do you know your water parameters? Dont just take a fish stores word that they are OK.

Preferably you should get a test kit (liquid test kit is best) and do your own tests. If you get water tests at the store make sure you get the results.

From your post it isnt clear if your tank is cycled. You mentioned 3 weeks tank prep, but it isnt clear if that included cycling the tank. Without a test kit i dont see how you can have cycled the tank and 3 weeks would be very quick for a cycle in any case.

If you don't know your water parameters i would do a water change if you think you have a problem. It sounds like you are due anyway.

Thanks for replying, Aiken Drum. We did cycle our fish tank. By prepping I meant cycling. My husband went to the fish store to get the water checked during the molly incident. He said that they did tell him and explained the water results. They were fine. Although he didn't note them down, so he doesn't remember what exactly were the numbers. The temperature currently is 79deg F. The store did return the amount back which suggests that results would hv been fine. We will buy a test kit for future, it sounds like a good idea.
RE the gourami - he is coming out briefly today, but as soon as he sees me, he goes back to the previous. I think he is super scared of me may be becoz I adjusted the accessories in the tank a few times yesterday when he was newly introduced. I really feel sad about it now. Hope he will cope up with me eventually. But he is definitely less active that all the others as of now. I am thinking, if he remains like this for a few more days, we will take him back to the pet store probably he will feel better there than in his new environment. How many days of monitoring do you suggest?
Akanksha

Also, I have added some stresszyme to the water today (without changing the water) hopefully it will help.

Hi Bansal

If you can tell us your water parameters as soon as you are able. They are the the most important pieces of information to diagnosing issues. We may be able to see something your fish store doesn't, and i also wouldnt trust them to know good water parameters from bad. I see many people who state that the fish store say they are good, but it turns out they arent.

I would do a water change if you havent done one in a week. If there is any issue, test your water and a water change should be your first things to do.

Im not sure that Stresszyme will help with the health of your fish. It contains a bacteria that breaks down mulm (the sludgey detritus). Its more a product to clean up the tank and make maintenance easier than something that will benefit your fish. It will possibly reduce ammonia a little. Stresscoat is the one that helps with fishes slimecoat and health issues.

Back
Top Bottom