gravel vacuums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
k well ima be getting a gravel vaccuum soon and i desperately need it bc my tnaks are dirty, so ya when u vac it does the water go out when u vac and then just like a water change add more rihgt? also any tips for vacing and any general thoughts?

When you gravel vac it will pull the water from the tank along with the fish waste and debris. You'll need a bucket to use the gravel vac unless you purchase a Python or a smiliar product made by Lees Aquarium. After you are done with the vacing, just replace the lost water.

Leave the plants in - removing them each time will only harm them. Just don't vac too close to the the roots. Besides, they like a little fish mulm in their diet. :wink:

As for the other things in the tank (driftwood, rocks, decorations), I move mine a bit to the side about once a month to vac the nasty stuff that accumulates under them. When the tank becomes heavily planted, this will probably no longer be practical.

I have a python vacum. At my old house it worked great. But in my new house there isnt as much suction. So its a real pain to suck suff other than water out of the tank.

Jawz, try using the Python on another faucet - preferably one lower than your tank.
In my apartment, the bathroom faucet didn't have enough water pressure to produce good suction. The kitchen faucet worked fine, but I didn't like dumping fish poop in the same sink I use for my dinner dishes. :p

I wound up changing out my bathtub spout with one that had a diverter valve and a threaded side tap. The bathtub has phenomenal pressure and the mess is easily cleaned up. 8)

for the vac when u suck the water out do u just put it into the sink bowl or onto the fauect bc if u attached it to the faucter wouild u be putting the bad water back in when u fill it after the vaccing?

The water will go down the sink. It will not go into the faucet. Basically when you hook it up, turn the plastic thing (not sure on a name for it) that attaches to the faucet. Turn on the water. The water will come out of the plastic thing that is attached to the faucet. If it doesn't, then watch out because it will come out of the hose. There are instructions with it that will show you how to use it. But no, it will not go back into the faucet.

Back
Top Bottom