green cloudyness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hiya blue_neon:

Green cloudiness in the water is indicative of an algae bloom. Generally due to high nutrients in the water and a lot of light. Does your tank get any sunlight? And do you gravel vac frequently?

From faq.thekrib.com : Green water
Green unicellular algae will sometimes reproduce so rapidly that the water will turn green. This is commonly called an "algae bloom" and is usually caused by too much light like direct sunlight.
An algae bloom can be removed by filtering with micron cartridges or diatom filters. UV sterilizers can prevent the bloom in the first place. Green water is very useful in the raising of daphnia and brine shrimp.

Try keeping the light on for only a few hours a day (do you have live plants?), and keep doing water changes (not too much at a time). And if you haven't already, try gravel vac-ing the tank (that should get rid of some of the excess nutrients). Really stir up the gravel to get all the junk out of there.

This should help. And if you want to raise some brine shrimp for your other fish, put them in there (joking; they might get eaten pretty quickly...) :)

right now i have the tank covered but some light i still getting in but i dont have live plants... and i have been vacuming .... do you think that getting live plants will help get rid of the excess nutrients??

Perhaps they will, as they do absorb nutrients. Also, I was concerned that if you have live plants and chose to reduce the amount of light to the tank (since some species need a lot of light) you might hurt them. But evidently that's not a prob!

I'd just recommend water changes, more vacuuming, and less light. I think I've seen FishFreek or ReefRunner69 recommend 6-8 hours of light per day for this same problem.

Also, if you find the algae is building up a lot on your plants/decorations/sides of tank, get an algae eater of some sort. Dwarf plecos (hairy tiger, bushynose, candy stripe) and siamese algae eaters are probably the best bet, as they don't get too big.

Please let me know how this works!

Oh, btw. Did you donate all your Kudos away??

Wow. How does that work? Did ReefRunner or FishFreek give you some in return for being such a good samaritan?

I have green water too. Well, long story...
but a quick questions. Someone mentioned if you find algae forming on tank, plants, etc... to get some sort of Pleco or something.
Could someone recommend a good cleaner for me?
I would like to get a cleaner for my 50 gallon fresh water. It houses a southern painted turtle and 4 large goldfish. I have no heater. It stays about 78°+ right now because the weather is so warm. I have a duetto 100 on my tank right now, but sometime in the next few days I am to receive my new Eheim 2026 professional!! :D Hopefully that will help a little with the green water. The tank gets no direct light. :?: I have a spot light for turtle basking and a UVB light that both cycle on and off during the day. so....
any suggestions???

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3250

Y'all are talkingabout Green Water, a single-cell algae bloom. see above link for a total cure!

If you don't have a Magnum, either purchase a Diatom Filter, or check with your lfs to see if they rent them. Diatom filtration will rid your thank of GW in 1 day or less.

Many types of algae are very difficult to get under control, but GW is the one I no longer fear. It is simple to get rid of using the above procedure.

HOLLIEO, see my above post about algae eaters. Unless you're looking for a larger algae eater for a larger tank... if so, take a look at this page for some options: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=837

Just don't get a chinese algae eater, coz they get aggressive. Siamese AEs are fine, and get half as big (4-5 inches).

Also, if you've got a lot of money to blow, and are looking for a real keeper, get a zebra pleco, Hypancistrus zebra. They are BY FAR the coolest plecos, and only reach 3 inches. I really want to get one...

Back
Top Bottom