Green Spotted Puffer care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kr1st3n

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm dealing with my first snail invasion at the moment, (but I don't want to completely get rid of the little guys, since they keep things clean), so I decided to grab what my LFS called a 'Leopard Puffer' to weed out the population as it comes. He's about 3 inches or so right now, and the store owner said that full grown in a properly managed tank, he could do fairly well in a 10 gallon, possibly with another GSP. Now, I plan on grabbing a bigger tank for him this weekend, so do I just stick with the 10 gal? Will that be big enough for his needs? I plan on going overboard with the filtration, and I am very strict about my water changes and water testing.

I've also read that as they grow bigger they transition to brackish. I have aquarium salt, but I don't really use it unless I bring in a fish with damaged fins or fin rot. Is it necessary to transition him to brackish over time, or will he do well in freshwater?

Here i a link to a puffer pedia that describes all three types of puffers. It is a great forum for all things puffer. It should be able to help you figure out what your puffer needs. Good luck with him.

Guess it would help if I added the ling. LOL
The Puffer Forum • The PufferPedia

Thank you! I have been doing research, and I guess I need to keep him in at least brackish, maybe transition to marine when he gets bigger. I'm going to be getting his 20 gallon tank tonight, and start setting it up over the next few weeks. I'll check that forum out!

Really if you wanted a fish just to control the population I'd go with botias or supposedly gouramis do the trick too. Both fish are peaceful for the most part and will eat prepared foods unlike puffers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I was considering getting a loach, but I fell in love with the puffers at my LFS. I don't mind setting up a few feeder tanks to keep them well fed and spoiled. :) I love seeing them hunt, especially ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom