Guppy colony feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am keeping my female guppies and all their fry in my 10g, heavily planted tank. I have plenty o' java moss and guppy grass for hiding places, I feed fry food, and I removed any predators except the female guppies. But beyond that I am not attempting to save the fry in particular by moving them out etc. Sort of a live and let live...

But I am not sure how much or how often I should be feeding this tank. I don't want to starve the fry that are strong enough to make it, but I just tested my nitrates and they are high, an I am guessing this is from over feeding the whole tank.

So how do I feed the adult guppies and the fry without overfeeding? Is there enough food from just feeding the adults once a day to keep the strong fry alive?

I would say yes except for the ones that arrived Thursday. The new ones are definitely swimming all over and I see several at the surface, but I also see a few at the bottom as well-- I would say that over all they do come to the top of the tank when I put food in.

you could buy liquid food made specifically for fry or you can mash up a tiny amount of the flakes with your fingers and sprinkle them in the area they're in. just feed the adults while you're feeding the fry so the adults don't get enticed by the food

What about a boiled egg yoke? It makes a little cloud of protien for everyone? I feed them twice a day, due to I work most of the day. Also I've noticed that my fry will pick at algae covered things while between meals as well.

I grab a pinch full of a mixture of finely ground flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp, and freeze dried bloodworms and put my fingers just under the water. It sinks faster so the little guys on the bottom have a better chance of getting some.

JoeyGGGG said:
I grab a pinch full of a mixture of finely ground flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp, and freeze dried bloodworms and put my fingers just under the water. It sinks faster so the little guys on the bottom have a better chance of getting some.

And how often?

The little guys don't really have a big gut so I feed 2-3 times a day usually.

Back
Top Bottom