Guppy old enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have 7 new guppies that are 5 weeks old and i am wondering when are they old enough to be placed back in my 20 Gal. community tank? Since i have some tetras i don't want them to end up as dinner.

I found the last 2 hiding in the ornaments i have and rescued them, but i know there were probably more that didn't make it. I also have 3 black-orange mollies that were the last ones i could save.

Katfish

Five weeks old they are probably about 4mm in size? I might be wrong but you would have to wait until they are at least 1cm, maybe bigger, before adding them back to a community tank. Probably a bit bigger if you have mollies, they are do really like the occasional bit of 'meat', so if it is small enough to fit they will eat.

This would take about a month with good feeding and care they should be old enough sooner. Like I said could stand to correction.

Just my experiences, I have a VERY :twisted: , healthy pair of breeding convicts and I have just moved about 30 juvvies out in to a grow out tank as I have some 'fish' eating ciclids in the same tank and I found TWO LFS's that are willing to take them off my hands, but from past experiences it took about two months for them to get to a size I could put them back into a tank with other fish.

well, naturally you want to wait until they are well bigger than their tankmates mouths...you can increase the rate of growth if you are so inclined....to make it a short story...by raising the temperature in the tank, only a little! don't fry them...you increase the metabolic rate of your cold blooded fishees, which in turn increases their growth rate, as well as their need for food, excretion of wastes, etc. of course, it also shortens their life a little because it's going by faster :wink: just depends on which is more important to you..and remember that warmer water holds less oxygen than colder water, so keep it in mind when stocking your fry tank

Well it seems the sizes vary, two of them are over 1 cm and others not their yet, the 3 mollies are being left behind just over 6 mm. And the last two are still very small. They really like to eat though, i give them flakes and some freezed dried worms which the go crazy over. :lol:

I will wait it out another month, one of the female guppies is looking like shes ready to have more, i just placed her in one of those nets that are made for this.

I am glad i am getting a 30 Gal. tank next month, don't want to overcrowd them.

Thanks for your help guys,
Katfish

Back
Top Bottom